A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Google pipes

Google pipes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusklcNKDZc

Which isp's do you think will join the bandwagon and which ones will cry foul?

Think of it. A gig a second.

Wow, that means my netflix movies would start instantaneously instead of nearly instantaneously. I can almost feel my jetpack.

^ ^ ^

...now, THAT'S funny.
    </cross thread reference>
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusklcNKDZc

Which isp's do you think will join the bandwagon and which ones will cry foul?

Think of it. A gig a second.
    It sounds like they want to be the ISP themselves. So, I suspect every other ISP will cry foul as loud as they can.

I think that their challenge is going to be in finding local governments that aren't already owned by existing ISPs like Comcast.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Yeah I question statements from google as well
    One community of 50.000 is not the makings of a national isp.

They claim that it will be open ended and will share with isp's

If Isp's dont take the bait they'll prolly do everything in thier power to stop it.

Honestly they can set up shop in my county any time. There is no love for comcast or att here. Especially after the state roadblocks they set up to try and stop free wi-fi

I think we are just trying to catch up...
    mmm signature

One gig would do it.

But how willing would isp's be to put their hats in the ring.
    If google tried it alone they wouldn't have the infrastructure to wire the major markets let alone the entire U.S.

The obvious choice would be for them to team with sprint who already have a long time commitment to fiber optic transmission

Could be just a ploy to get the current providers to fall all over themselves to compete breaking themselves in the process so google and come in and clean up in the after math.

This 'story' is not really all that new...
    http://news.cnet.com/Google-wants-da...3-5537392.html
    January 17, 2005
    The question has cropped up in light of a recent job posting on the search engine giant's Web site seeking experts in the field.

"Google is looking for Strategic Negotiator candidates with experience in...(i)dentification, selection, and negotiation of dark fiber contracts both in metropolitan areas and over long distances as part of development of a global backbone network," the posting reads in part.

"Dark fiber" refers to fiber-optic cable that's already been laid, but is not yet in use. Thousands of miles of dark fiber are available in the United States, but there have been few takers because of the high costs of making it operational.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

That dark fiber part isn't new. Them using/getting ready to use it now, that's new.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    I've been employed in the telco industry specializing in ADSL for the last 11 years, and I've always kept one eye on what G has been doing with their investment $$$ in dark fiber.
    While G's plans are nothing inovative (Verizon FIOS has been pulling fiber to the house "FTTH" for the last half a decade plus), this announcement certainly fires a warning shot over the bow of all the political alliances and pie-splitting forged between Telco/Cable/Gov since divestiture back in the 80's.
    The 800lb gorilla in the corner just shifted his weight... does it mean he's going to reach out and snap a neck or is he just going to scratch an itch?
    Either way, this may be just the scare that corporate America needs to finally do something about our crumbling and obsolete communications infrastructure.

Personally I'm hoping to witness a little neck snapping and maybe some mutilation by gorilla paw even if it means a temp loss of my livelyhood... hell, somebody will have to clean up the mess and splice everything back together when the dust settles.
    There's no way G could be a worse employer then the union-busting, employee-abusing, above-the-law P.O.S. that AT&T (SBC) has become.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Problem is that even though just about everyone hates their cable company, few realize exactly who it is that granted the company the contract to maintain (and charge for) the cables in our sidewalks. So, nobody typically takes a hit politically for being greased and re-newing the things.

I could see the Google option working well at the city level as a platform issue for a savvy politician.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

The FCC has been talking for sometime now about running fiber optic cables into HUD homes. The problem is the FCC is so far in bed with telco's it isnt even funny. They may try to shut the gorilla down.

As far as ATT trying to take my google away because they make revenue directing traffic to yahoo. They just may get seriouis about it If Google tries to get into a bigger market. If google came to town and laid fiber into my home, I, someone who isn't exactly found of the gorilla might take the bait.

The once in four months I use my home phone, really doesn't justify the cost. If I could simply get broadband without all the extra's that cable and dsl make you buy I'd be all over it.