A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] .swf size issue with hosting provider 1&1

Noob!

resolved [RESOLVED] .swf size issue with hosting provider 1&1

Hi,

I'm EXTREMELY new to flash and have honestly been researching this for over 7 hours last night...until 6am! I'm desperate and exhausted but please bear with me.

I recently purchased a flash template which I plan to eventually try and customize. I also went ahead and purchased hosting with 1 & 1.

I'm able to view this flash template just fine, but when I uploaded it to the site, it kept stopping during the preload between 23% - 27%.

I tried to republish it, using Flash CS3 and uploaded the index.html, the swf, and the AC_RunActiveContent.js file but still no affect.

I created a .htaccess file and put "AddType application/x-shockwave-flash .swf" inside, but it also failed to help.

I then downloaded 4 other flash templates and tried them all but all of them never got passed the loading bar.

I finally contacted the hosting company who suggested the issue may lie in the size of the files, so I took my original .swf (905kb) and stripped out most of it and got it down to 119kb and it worked! This surprised me because one of the other templates I tried was only 174kb, yet it failed to load as well.

So I'm not sure if this is typical? Do I need to do something else to make it work? Am I just missing something? I can't believe the size alone wont allow it to open when it appears fine on the site I purchased it from.

This is the link to the 905kb swf:
    http://pizzaiolobavaro.org/flash11.swf

This is the shrunken version that works but is missing most of the content:
    www.pizzaiolobavaro.org

This is the site I purchased it from (and what it SHOULD look like):
    http://allfreetemplates.info/view-ch...late-1882.html

Thanks so much if anyone can help...!

Noob!
    ok, since it's been a few hours with no responses, would someone mind telling me what is a good size for a .swf? Is mine really too large to load?

And if size really is the issue, can someone help me with my Publish settings, in case maybe I missed something there?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Noob!
    Well, I tried emilinating everything and ended up downloading a new FTP client and it turns out THAT was the issue?

I was using FireFTP but downloaded and used Filezilla which fixed it.

Oh well, now I know not to rule out ANYTHING when you're troubleshooting.

Hope this helps someone someday.