A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Noted about Array speeds...

Noted about Array speeds...

For anyone interested in checking out the time it takes for a flash to create an array consisting of 8000 numbers and then transferring those numbers to another array (8000 array twice that is) you can visit:

http://www.sdax.se/travsidan/kjellboy1.htm

Instructions:
    1. Put 99 in all editboxes
    2. tick all boxes green next to the numbers
    3. Input 1 instead of 35 down where it sais vildhet %
    4. Press the button 'Slumpa...' and then it starts - when you see the 3 numbers picked as winner runner up and third place finisher then it is done.

To me it is a long time (13 seconds)!
    Last edited by SirN; 02-15-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Maybe you should think of another concept to calculate the result. It's really helpful not to let the program do everything on a single frame. Then the users browser won't begin to lag (as Firefox did on my netbook...)

If you need further help with this, let me know.

Yes, I have given it some thoughts, but this is the way I have achieved my objective - and I'm sure that there would be possible to do more effective code.

But I don't know about the array's. There is at maximum 15 horses in an swedish trotting race (which there can be betting on), and I need random to pick the winner of the race and I want the random pick to be affected by the 4 inputs made to each horse( e/k/placefinish and wildness)...

If there is a way to make the input 99 99 checked and wildness 35 greater than 50 50 checked and wildness 35 and a way for a random pick to be more likely to pick the first (99 one) then I am interested hearing about it! My solution is to (roughly speaking) fill an array with 99 spots of the first one and 50 spots of the other one and let a random pick do it from that array - and it is never a question of more than (roughly speaking again) 1000 spots in the array in an realistic use of the application - soo it never takes much more than an second or two for the whole proccess to happen in an realistic example.

I was just letting you know that 99 in all fields and everything checked and with wildness at 1 creates an array consisting of 8000 spots which is transferred over to another array - and letting you know that this is the time it takes for that .

My programming right now looks like this:
    Code:
    if (fas2 == 99)
    			{
    			platsjustering = 150;
    				}
    		else if (fas2 == 98)
    			{
    			platsjustering = 148;
    				}
    		else if (fas2 == 97)
    			{
    			platsjustering = 146;
    				}
    		else if (fas2 == 96)
    			{
    			platsjustering = 144;
    				}
    		else if (fas2 == 95)
    			{
    			platsjustering = 140;
    				}
    and that written out 99 times with different *platsjustering and I think that an array with the *platsjustering numbers and a way to just pick the right one based on what *fas2 is - that would be better code...

This is just one example and several times in my code I make this bad code....
    Last edited by SirN; 02-17-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Adding code example