dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Player.IO Update - Feedback wanted

Manic

Player.IO Update - Feedback wanted

Hey all,

We have now been live with Player.IO for a month so I decided this would be a good time to give FlashKit a small update. Although Player.IO has yet to be officially announced, we already have more than 200 developers signed up and using our tools.

First a few things I want to clerify based on my previous post about Player.IO.

• The free option will still exist when we go out of beta
    • The API is fully compatible with Mochi and other APIs. Even when using the encryption service.

At this point the multiplayer system is getting rock solid and we have fixed all bugs so fare submitted to us. We also release a new feature that provides automatic error logging of your games. More about that here

We also had a chance to revise and extend our documentation. New great sections includes a deeper look at the Development Server and authenticating 3rd party users.

What I would really like feedback for is the two APIs we currently have in development.

• Quick connection API that allows easy authentication with 3rd party services such as Facebook and Open Social.
    • Persistant Data API that allows storage of data - using a distributed key > object database. Data can be stored globally or for users.
    • What I would really like to know is what games you could see yourself build on top of a system like this, and thereby see if the service as we are building is covering it.

Great idears and feedback on our existing services is naturally also very welcome! You can also email me directly at chris@player.io

Lastly I also want to give Ryan Brady a bit more credit for his great tutorial on flash games
    http://playerio.com/documentation/tu...ames-tutorial/

This is more appropriate in the games forum.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |

@cancerinform

I don't see how this is more appropriate in the GAMES forum. This is an API and service specifically targeted at Flash developers (albeit Flash game devrs).

I'm currently doing a RoR/Flash app for Facebook (www.choruscard.com) and was intrigued by this service. It's ability to keep scores and support Mochi for Flash & Actionscript seems pretty much on target here.

to answer your questions @Q-Rious:

1. would not likely take advantage of the multi-player games part of your platform.
    2. would take advantage of the Social Media (SM) integration for login (www.lojali.com - www.choruscard.com).

Issues w #2:
    a) don't see support for SM communications: posts, emails, notifications, requests, counters, etc.,... the secondary advantage of using their APIs.
    b) don't see how partitioning game data is relevant unless you're keeping scores/points or unless you expose logins/UserIDs & names to other players w/o letting the player customize their login.

3. Platform appears to be "like" a hosting platform (please correct me if I'm wrong) but doesn't appear to support things that Amazon Web Services, Joyent, Rackspace or other cloud service providers support (elastic computing, discrete storage, static IP assignment, etc,..) -- then again it appears to be "like" a services a la PayPal payments (3rd party holding data and authenticating).

4. Is not clear if this is ONLY for Flash or if you support non-flash games like Scorelug does. (we're mixing both Flash and non-flash in one app).

REALLY LIKE the Auth-Hash methods. This is something we've been wrestling with to expand our footprint to other partners.

REALLY LIKE the Facebook Game Example (mixed RoR & Flash) exactly what we have going on. Will likely be developing more apps like this. Don't think we're typical for small distributed games (Mochi, Kongregate, MindJolt, etc.,...). We think we're typical for SM games.

REALLY LIKE the SSO & QuickConnect as we have our own auth that will be rolling out for people wanting to log in w/o SM authentication.

Manic
    Hey demian_9

Let me answer your questions

A) While we provide authentication for social media systems. We leave it up to the developer to do the actual SM integration. Most SM's have great API's already, so we would much rather use our focus elsewhere. Things like emails, geo-ip tracking etc are incoming.

B) I assume you are referring to the partitioning thats already assessable in the data API. This feature only really make sense after the release of our upcoming data API.

We currently have several clients for other languages than AS3 in internal beta testing. Likewise our platform works 100% on flash apps exported for IPhones using CS5. What platforms would you like to see support for?

3: We see ourself as a cloud service for game developers. However we do not wish to be come the generic hosting provider for people. Thus if you have other needs like web-server hosting etc, you will have to contact another provider for those parts.

Last but not least, I would love to hear more about your project, so shoot me an email at chris [that thing]*player.io

/Chris

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Q-Rious quick question. I haven't really browsed the site but how much traffic can the service handle and is there restrictions on a free account for the amount of connections per game?
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Site says 200 concurrent for free license. I am definitely thinking about using this instead of my clunky self-made php polling script.