A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Open source platformer engine in Actionscript 3

Open source platformer engine in Actionscript 3

I am working on writing a platformer engine that would be easy to use yet robust enough to use on professional projects. Here's a demo of what I have so far:
    http://perl.wefoundland.com/mario/

The idea is this: instead of remaking an engine for each game, going through the process of tweaking it for speed and loading time, writing basic code to move a character etc, wouldn't it be brilliant if some of that stuff was taken care of aleady? That's what I'm shooting for with this engine (currently in pre-pre-pre-alpha ).

Is this useful for anyone? I have a project page set up here as well as a Git repo in case anyone would like to give it a test drive.

Your tile collision is currently really buggy I'm afraid to say.

Also without checking the github, is it as3 ? Are you supplying it as a swc to just drop into our code ? Is it all bitmap based or use sprites / movieclips ?

I think if you're looking to offer up an engine then you've got a ton of work ahead of you. It's got to be highly flexible and heavily documented, which are both lots of work.

Keep with it though, it'd be good to see an example that had multi-directional scrolling with a much bigger window ( That's tiny ) and a frame counter so we can all see how it performs in different, and more real life, situations.

Squize.

Oops, I did try and remove the question about it being in as3 after re-reading the title, but it wouldn't let me, so my stupidity is there for all to see.

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    Your tile collision is currently really buggy I'm afraid to say.

I think if you're looking to offer up an engine then you've got a ton of work ahead of you. It's got to be highly flexible and heavily documented, which are both lots of work.

Keep with it though, it'd be good to see an example that had multi-directional scrolling with a much bigger window ( That's tiny ) and a frame counter so we can all see how it performs in different, and more real life, situations.

Squize.
    Thanks for the advice! The documentation is at the top of the to-do list, and I'll add the rest on there too. A frame counter is pretty easy to add and it would definitely be a nice thing to have. I'm trying to make it as usable as possible...I know I have a long way to go, but I think it'll be a great help in the end.