A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash navigation display problem in IE

Flash navigation display problem in IE

Hi all

Got a WordPress site and embedded Flash navigation which is showing fine on the home page in IE, but not translated across to the other pages.

All pages show fine in Google Chrome and Firefox, any idea what the issue could be with IE?

http://irresistibleproductions.com/

Much appreciated

Thanks

Looks like Wordpress is using a separate folder for the other pages. That means that this address:
    [Code]<param name="movie" value="apples_ip.swf"[Code]
    will not work on pages other than the home page, since all the other pages are one folder deeper. I've seen this with WordPress before and it's confusing because it seems like all your pages are in the same folder on the server. Non the less, once they are displayed, those pages are one folder deeper and would require an address relative to that location. Something like
    <param name="movie" value="../apples_ip.swf"
    View the address displayed in the address bar of the browser to verify that the other pages are being displayed from a different folder than the home page.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Hi there

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the same, hence why I have put the absolute address of the swf file in the banner code, but this doesn't seem to fix it.

I'm also baffled why only IE would have this problem, not the other browsers.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Steve

Looks like you changed the address in the <embed>, which is used by FF but not in the <object>, which is used by IE. There the address is still relative:
    Code:
    <param name="movie" value="apples_ip.swf" />
    Change that to an absolute address and test again.
    EfV

You legend! Nice one..

All I need to work out now is how I can get the right-hand side lined up in IE like it is in the other browsers... I know it's not a Flash question but.... any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help

Well that problem may be related to this, from an old post:
    There are several horrible IE bugs, as you probably already know. Sorry that I don't have time to look at your exact circumstance closely right now, but some things to try:

* often IE problems occur when floats are in a container with no width, so try giving the containing DIV a width. (try this with #header)

* the IE double-margin bug can be avoided by display: inline; A google search on this will give you more details. (try this with #applenav)
    So maybe play with a few changes to
    Code:
    #header
    and
    #applesnav
    EfV

Hi there

Tried giving the header a width but still IE places the nav in the middle of the header. The header (and applesnav) already has display:inline too...

Problem is because it looks great on Chrome/Firefox, if I play with it to try and resolve it on IE it messes it up on the other browsers..

Reminds me why I never play with Rubix cubes!

Thanks for giving your time to help though EfV, much appreciated.

OK, well here is what I saw the first time around.. the object (the Flash apples) is being
    Code:
    text-align:center;
    View that in IE Developer Toolbar to verify.
    Somehow it is inheriting that from the body, style for body is "center". So give applesnav
    Code:
    text-align:right;
    so that content inside applesnav with be aligned with right edge of that container. Still give it a width though, same width as the flash.
    Best wishes,
    EfV

EfV... fantastic, I feel like I can come to you with any problem! My girlfriend and I aren't getting on.... just kidding

Any advice on the RSS feed button/search box on the right? Or am I pushing my luck?

On IE they displays one above the other, on Chrome they muddle up with the Recent Entries section..

Your help has been really appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

How would you like the search and RSS button displayed?
    EfV

Hey EfV... was thinking similar how is displayed at the moment on IE, centralised with the search box above the RSS button, with the other content below.

At the moment Chrome/Firefox is jumbling it all up..

Cheers again
    Steve

Actually I think it's IE that's rendering it wrong, FF and Chrome have it right.
    Looks like
    Code:
    #search-area
    and
    Code:
    #rss-feed
    are floated right. That means that they are out of the normal flow of the page. So instead of the page displaying first the search-area, then below that, rss-feed, then below that, side-top, and so forth down the page... those 2 problem <div>s are taken out of the flow and floated off to the right, in effect leaving side-top as the first <div> in that area of the page.
    Remove the floats and use margin, padding, text align, or some other method to push the text of those 2 <div>s over to the right.
    And as for you and your girlfriend.... Oh come on... just take it like a man..."Yes dear. Yes dear. Yes dear..."
    Best wishes,
    EfV