A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Data Storage for Flash

Data Storage for Flash

Hi, did anyone know how to we store data for flash application? As im not using any server-side script, it is not possible to connect to database right? 2 things i managed to found by google it are SharedObject and XML. But later i found that it is not possible to modify data in XML using flash without any server-side script. For sharedobject, it seems not possible if i want to store the information of a list of users, as the instance of shared object can only hold the latest data. What can I do? Thanks.

I use sql and php , or sometimes java , to output xml to a flash application upon request.

Code:
    http://www.wampserver.com/en/
    Most domain's are already configured to use these features.

Quote Originally Posted by AttackRabbit View Post
    I use sql and php , or sometimes java , to output xml to a flash application upon request.

Code:
    http://www.wampserver.com/en/
    Most domain's are already configured to use these features.
    Thanks, Ephmm but my application is not web-based, it is a standalone application. Still possible to use php n sql?

I guess it really just depends on what your application is. If its some sort of desktop utility then you can use the local shared object to store config values , or you could have the app load and write to and binary file in the application directory. If its something like a game , or even a desktop application with unlockable features , etc , you will need to rethink the way you are handling information. If its something as simple as a license key , then you would need to at least once , write to the registry. Anything stored locally , even local shared objects , can be accessed and modified. Also it would depend on your method of delivery , ie , are you the only one going to use the application , or , do you have explicit control over the end users environment. If you do , then you could install apache , php , and sql , and run the app through the localhost. In that case , then yes it would all still work.

You can create a local MySQL database on your harddrive. I don't know the program for PC but for Mac for example it is called MAMP.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -