A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Very large file issues

Very large file issues

Hi,

I haven't used Flash in quite a while and wanted to make an animation to display quite a few photos. As i'm out of practice, linking videos kind of skipped my mind and therefore my first file which has lots of images in has become quite heavy and slow to run.

My problem is... Is there a quick and easy way i can directly switch one part of an animation with another, keeping all the tweens and actions that are on it? (EG I want to switch out images for the same images saved as smaller files)

Or, is there a way i can scale down the movie in size to make it run smoother? I am going to have quite a lot of photos in a series of linked videos, but as i forgot about it, my first video has too much content and is too big in file size. It can be quite big as it's only for use on my mac (not online) but i still need it smaller as it won't run smoothly.

Thanks,

Martyn

Well the best way to accomplish any goal is to adhere to the rule "Begin with the end in mind". That means set all image dimensions, etc. to just the size needed in the final Flash document from the very beginning. NEVER resize images in Flash!
    But the good part is that if you DO make edits or changes to image files, Flash will allow you to "update" image files to include edits and changes. This applies to images that you have imported into your "Library".
    Practice by making a very obvious edited on a sample image (outside of Flash, a big red x or something). After editing your image, then (back in Flash) right click (on PC) on the image in the Library. At the bottom of the contextual menu will be "update". Then in the dialog box that pops up, chose yes.... Then view the results. You should see the edit with the red x.
    Using that method you could resize and/or compress the images outside of Flash, then "update" to better fit your plan.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigtialmedia.com