Thread: abba = Rock and Roll???

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

abba = Rock and Roll???

I think the Rock and Roll hall of fame has really lost the plot!!

...I mean really, the inductees this year - Abba, The Hollies, Jimmy Cliff.

Can anyone point me to songs from any of them that could be considered rock & roll?

Fernando, Many Rivers to Cross, Bus Stop ...some really rockin' out numbers there for sure, LOL.

There have been some very dubious inductees in the past, but this year takes the cake. The only artists this year that could even come close to being called rock and roll are the Stooges.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

there are plenty of country, R&B, hip hop, and jazz artists in the RRHOF. Just went a few months ago and the diversity was pretty cool. If the artist had influence on other genres or bands, it makes complete sense.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I suppose. My definition of rock and roll is obviously a lot narrower than theirs.

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I'm with David.
    While one can rightfully claim Howling Wolf or Muddy Waters had a direct influence on Rock the same can't be said of Abba
    When I hear "anthem rock" I don't here Abba anthem vocal harmonies.
    Neil Young didn't take from abba it was the other way round.

The Rock and Roll House of Fame must really be getting desparate. What next Trini Lopez?

Come on guys...if it wasn't for Abba, what the soundtrack to all of those big bushed 70's swingers parties have been?

*goes to fetch white jumpsuit*
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I believe the form of music is known as disco.
    Child of funk, parent of house and techno.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    In the defense of Jimmy Cliff, and a massive amount of child-hours growing up in a LedZep/PinkFloyd/FleetwoodMac/BobMarley induced fog of 70's version "purple haze", I would have to say that Cliff's "the Harder They Come" and "You Can Get It If You Really Want" are the two tracks that pushed him across the niche border of Reggae into the realm of Rock & Roll.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    um, I see rock and roll having some very specific roots, and music that don't come from those roots aint rock and roll in my mind. Abba don't make it, and neither does Jimmy Cliff, no matter how much I like his music.

I like reggae music, but I don't see it having rock and roll roots. I sure wouldn't have included Marley either .... there must be a reggae hall of fame somewhere in Jamaica, and those dudes belong there as prize examples, but they didn't really do rock and roll imo.

Like frets said, Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters ...ah, there is some roots of rock and roll. Try and find Howlin' For My Darlin' or Shake For Me ...and Muddy Waters - Rollin' and Tumblin', (Im Your) Hoochie Coochie Man, Got My Mojo Working.

david

Rock 'n Roll has roots in Blues. So does Reggae.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Rock 'n Roll has roots in Blues. So does Reggae.
    Yes, I agree ...but reggae doesn't have the cowboy/hillbilly connection that was pretty important in making Rock&Roll what it is today.

...and reggae artists still don't belong in a rock and roll hall of fame. Sharing Blues roots is not enough, unless it is a Rythm & Blues hall of fame.

...but really, Abba

Cowboy/hillbilly were influenced by the Delta Blues - sorry, but it preceded that genre too.

At this rate of your current quest for genre segregation, you'd have to build 50+ buildings just to be an ideal separation to satiate your view... that I kindly have to disagree with. Music that originated in the last 100 years can tie it all back to a few genres that preceded them all... and country/hillbilly/rockabilly/rock-n-roll/reggae all are subsets to the bigger blues genre. Think father/sons on a family tree.

I'd rather avoid what's the root of all of this music - I'll admit I have no clue, I stop at blues/spirituals which are keenly tied to slavery - and think of it from the modern perspective that most of the music the people enjoy now owe guitar licks, chord riffs/patterns and whatnot to the blues. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, even ABBA (to a very minor degree) all have evidenced nuances of some blues in their music... to me.

Reggae, better yet Roots Reggae definitely had a blues vibe, that lead to the popular Marley/Tosh reggae (modern reggae) which led to dub, dancehall, et al.

Rhythm & blues is a bit different... you're looking at blues being infused with soul, different structures in singing, but the music is still influenced.

To be honest, I pretty much dislike discussions like this simply because when I hear country, I hear denials of their delineation from blues. They didn't invent a thing... they copied (badly) and created their own genre with sub-genres, that came back to mainstream/root and combined to create other genres.

I agree. ABBA is a stretch. But where would you place disco? It's dead. So place it with the closest genre it spawned from... rock-n-roll.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    because when I hear country, I hear denials of their delineation from blues.
    It is no denial from me, totally acknowledge blues roots in country music, but country & hillbilly music had more than just blues in the family. One can't really deny the european connection there, celtic folk, the French influence from when France owned part of North america.

(addendum: forgot the Spanish influence as well, how could I, smacks self upside head)

In my eyes it is what seperates R&B and cowboy music, R&B has no European music connection really, pretty much all about African roots.

...but Abba in the R&R hall of fame
    Last edited by david petley; 03-16-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: quote tags

As an American that's traveled, I don't hear contemporary French influence. If you're talking about period French/European influence, I honestly don't know enough to say one way or the other.

I agree. ABBA. I don't like them either. Don't like Journey or Rush either... but they're there.

I know I'll get flamed for my hate of Journey, I just really hate them.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    As an American that's traveled, I don't hear contemporary French influence.
    I have a great interest in the history of American music, particularly western music (as in the 'western' part of country and western)

...we don't have our own music here in Australia

...and there are influences from every single Eurpoean country where people ran away to the great new land that had been discovered to their west.

This is a WIKI quote (I know that doesn't mean much) from a page -Music_of_Louisiana

In southwestern Louisiana in the 1800s, the fiddle was the most popular Cajun instrument and the music still carried clear influences from the Poiteu region of France and the Scottish/Canadian influences of their earlier homeland. In the late 19th century German immigrants spreading outward from central and eastern Texas and New Orleans soon brought the accordion as well.
    This is a quote from another WIKI article, which is an interesting read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music

Western music was directly influenced by the folk music traditions of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, and many cowboy songs, sung around campfire in the nineteenth century, like 'Streets of Laredo', can be traced back to European folk songs

stop being a music nazi and just enjoy the music.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    stop being a music nazi and just enjoy the music.

LOL, sure ...except for Abba.

Here is a nice group of online radio feeds - http://radioyur.com/yur/