A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: INSTA-TUTE! - Popping a New Window in a Single Step

I use IE - no care about how bad Netscape is

Where do I find the _blank -- I want to avoid the third window from opening up.

"However, I have another request for you:
    how from that window open another movie or htmlpage whatever, in the previous window, I have tried window="top", but it does not work.
    Impress me again please !!"

If you have named that previous window, you will be able to target it for content. If your popup has a link that you want to change the parent.location, just type the name of the parent wondow into the target space...

on (release) {
    getURL ("whateverURLyouWant", "yourNamedWindow");
    }

the second parameter is the target.

"I use IE - no care about how bad Netscape is"
    So, you are making sites for you alone to view? No concern at all at how someone else might see your site?

OK cool. It works, except my pop-up window opens at the top-left of my screen. How do I get it to open in the center of the screen?

i assume that you need flash 5.

peace, 1lOvE
    rYaN

Just something to throw in there for those of you users who dont know java scripting... you can also control with this command what kind of windo is being opened!

ie...

on (release) {
    getURL ("javascript:window.open('http://www.gear78.com/comp1.html','Computer1','width=700,height=600,top= 0,left=0,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,m enubar=no,status=yes,directories=no,location=no'); void(0);");
    }

The window opened with this is 700x600 with: No toolbar, a scrollbar, its resizable, has no menu, shows its status, and does not show its directory or location

This can be helpful if your trying to pop up something in a pretty nodescript window, and it gives you lots of options!

there still has to be a way that i can open a window in netscape the same way i can open a window in I.E. (with no other window opening up b4 my sized one)

peace, 1lOvE
    rYaN
    ps: using flash 5.

Hi...thought I would jump in here and try to help...this script works in IE and Netscape (well, I can only say for sure about IE and Netscape 4.7...haven't tried other versions of Netscape...)

Also, it works in both Flash 4 and 5... check the first post in this thread...GGW gives both versions...

In Flash 4 or 5...where it asks for the Window position...put nothing...if you put "_blank" ... that is what is opening the extra browser window...

One other thing...in the script where it has NameofWindow...if you want spaces in your window name, do it like this: Name_of_Window.....you can't have spaces...

That's all the problems I can forsee...it does work...

Hope this helps...

-pigghost-

HI Everyone:
    Ok, i am opening a new window from a standalone .exe file on a cdrom.

Will the script still work? If so, do you HAVE TO use the http:// link? Because I am trying to open a html document on the same cdrom to a specific size.

What if the viewer is not connected to the internet while watching my .exe movie? The http:// link won't work!! that is why i want to open a local file...

Thanks all
    Apples

thanks for passing this along. works like a charm.

grrr...i don;t know what to do. this is my code for my html source:
    <!--
    function MM_openBrWindow(theURL,winName,features) { //v2.0
    window.open(theURL,winName,features);
    }
    //-->
    </script>

and for my flash button:
    javascript:window.open('http://www.flashkit.com','NameofWindow','width=800,height =600,top=0,left=0'); void(0);");

what am i doing wrong? i don;t have a _blank in my flash button. so this should be working. i keep getting a various windows opening b4 the on that i wanted does.

peace, 1lOvE
    rYaN

Hi...now I see your problem! Get rid of the javascript function in your html...you don't need it with this script.This relies strictly on the GetUrl action on the button...no other javascript needed... that's the beauty of it!

Hope this helps...

-pigghost-

i exported my test button as a html flash file and it worked perfectly in I.E 5.0 and netscape 6.0. great!!! my only problem @ the moment is that in flash 5...when i test my movie, that it doesn't work for some reason. which a browser window opens b4 my sized one. is that normal?

peace, 1lOvE
    rYaN

Hi...yes, when you test in Flash Player,it opens a browser window first before the sized one...I guess it makes sense that you have to have a browser window open initially, before you can pop another one...so, that's normal...

Glad it works for you.......

-pigghost-

I copied and pasted the script in Flash 5 and it worked fine, but in Flash 4, it gave some file error.

I was just wondering, is there a way to dissable Maximize/restore window option??

LDpro
    Originally posted by azatrum
    I was just wondering, is there a way to dissable Maximize/restore window option??
    Hi, I'm wondering something simliar. (Thanks for posting the GGW, this is something that has obviously been perplexing a lot of us)

That code work excellent, however I now have another request: could you post code that would have no browser features other than the top menu bar (so that people can exit out). I'd like to have a window that has no scroll bars and is not resizeable.

Finally, is there a way to make it so that when you click on your original movie (in browser window "A") that opens the pop-up window (browser window "B"), the "A" browser window will close?

See, GGW: give us an inch and we'll take a mile! If ANYONE knows how to do this I would really, really appreciate it!

LDpro

Thanx GGW for all the guidence that u've provided.I just have a couple of more questions about opening a window.As u click the button the small window opens on the left top corner of the browser, in many flash sites like http://www.e-axis.com/, the small window opens in the middle of the browser. Would u happen 2 know how its done?
    2ndly, is there a way 2 dissable restore/maximize option?

Re: where is _blank

I cant find this '_blank' either and I want to get rid of that pesky second window that opens. Anyone-Anyone????

John.

the _blank is in the object actions box where it says Window. You have to make sure that line is empty and doesn't say _blank, or anything else I assume. Anyway I used the code and it worked fine in both browsers. The problem I am having when I test is- if you click on anything before the movie is through loading there is a javascript error. If you let the movie load completely it works fine. I am in way over my head on this, but I am commited to it now so I would appreciate any help. I read something about FSCcommand but it's like Greek to me. I also want to publish the whole thing to CD eventually, which I in my ignorance thought was just a matter of putting it on a CD. Now I am reading about "projectors". Can someone tell me a good simple place to start learning about that. I have about 12 days to finish this project or else be forced to say I couldn't do it. I really hate that. I did take a course in Flash but it didn't get past the most basic of stuff and I can't find another class around here to build on that. So I guess my next best option is to hang around here and ask questions.

Austrian Superstar
    GGW this is really great!
    I've been looking for this for a while now, thank you!