A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best cheap stock photo site?

Hybrid View

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar

Best cheap stock photo site?

I figure this would be the best forum to ask.
    With so many stock photo sites out there I'm sure there must be some decent cheap/free ones that I don't know about.

We normally use istockphoto, bigstockphoto, and shutterstock which have the credits per photo model.

What other places have you found that you like to use for web-size (2mp) photos that don't cost and arm and a leg?
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

I've sold some photos over on fotolia and didn't get much for them so I guess they aren't charging too much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by loydall View Post
    I've sold some photos over on fotolia and didn't get much for them so I guess they aren't charging too much for them.
    Was it so little that it wasn't worth doing?

Yeah I've always been interested in throwing some stock stuff out there but haven't looked into it too closely. What was the MP requirements?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

If you could be bothered to put a large volume of stuff on there, you'd do alright over a year or so. I've only put about 15 on fotolia and had about 10 selected for the paid-for section (they can reject stuff is it's not sharp enough, bad photo, boring theme etc..).

I have 1 photo that I've sold a number of times (http://www.fotolia.com/id/12567175). You can set up the licensing how ever you like - I get about $1 each time it sells.

I keep meaning to spend a weekend taking photos of random stuff - food, clouds etc.. and uploading maybe 100 or so photos to fotolia.

I think other sites pay more but their acceptance rate is lower.

I'm sure if you worked full time at it, you could make a fair bit of cash out of it. Just depends how much time you want to spend.

At the moment I'm earning peanuts from it...

whenever i need photos to do work in photoshop sxc.hu and morguefile.com are my goto spots
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Nikonist
    in agreement with loydall...fotolia offers reasonable prices for downloading their photos...
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

www.dreamstime.com are not too expensive and www.photoxpress.com has many free ones.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

I used to buy my photos from dreamstime---not anymore.

Hands down, the best place to get good quality photos really cheap is here:
    http://mbsy.co/76B99?s=e

I love this place. I get great photos at full resolution for $1 all the time.

Personally, I buy photos at fotolia.com. They are reasonably cheap. One credit costs $1 - for that price you can get a photo in XS format.

Me also usually buy photos from fotolia, but to get the perfect photo sometimes need pay more to buy from iStock.