A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help with importing

help with importing

Hello: I am currently demoing and considering buying Koolmoves for use in a school setting. I am trying to see if this program will let my students import (and animate) their design work from RHINO3D. I have been trying to export simple objects using various export selections...but no matter which one I try, when I import into Koolmoves, I just get a big box with a "x" through it. Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone know how i can test the import?? Can I import the objects?

Super Moderator
    What import format is giving you the box with the x through it? What happens when you Play > Play with Web Browser?

The only 3D models which will import into KoolMoves are ASE, OBJ, M2D.
    Last edited by Bob Hartzell; 05-05-2010 at 07:03 AM.

import

Thanks for the reply. I made a simple sphere in RHINO. I then saved it about 10 times using different files formats....including .3ds, .obj, and several others. I then open KM and try to import those, and just get the box??? By the way, it says on the website that you can import .3ds and others...is this not true (they were not on your list of "importables".

Super Moderator
    You didn't answer my previous question -- What happens when you Play > Play with Web Browser?

And did you supply a texture file?

importing

Hello: When I play with browser, I see strange diamond-shaped patterns??? They look nothing like what I drew....i did not import any tecture mapping at all....is that neccesary? (The model was colored in the 3D design program)

Super Moderator
    The software should have issued a message saying that the texture file was not entered. I believe it is necessary.

Remus, if you are reading this, please respond.

No texture was asked for

Hello: No texture was asked for.....I just tried to import the 3D graphic..

Super Moderator
    Did you import using File > Import - 3D Model or the tool bar icon titled Import 3D Model? If not, how did you perform the import?

tried both ways

Thanks for your continued attempts to help...

I tried it both ways.....I also tried to make some different shapes in my 3D cad program, export them using .obj format....no luck..I should also add that I get a warning box saying that the object must be converted to AS3 fromat (whatever that is) because of something to do with Flash 9??? Could that be part of the problem? Any idea what AS3 is??

Thanks again...

Super Moderator
    The problem is that you are missing a texture file and there was a place to enter it on the same dialog box where you entered the model file. I believe the code cannot correctly display the 3D object without a texture file.

I am emailing Remus to get him to help with this since this is his code.

Super Moderator
    Remus can't log on to the forum for some reason.

This is his response:

Give these links:
    http://necromanthus.com/KoolMoves/AS3/OBJviewer.html
    http://necromanthus.com/KoolMoves/AS3/3DSviewer.html
    I don't use Rhino3D, but probably its 3DS and OBJ exporters are buggy.
    I know a few 3D modelers with the same problems.
    In this case he must find a 3rd party exporter.

Super Moderator
    Remus emailed me and says that his Necro3D code can work without a texture file but the importing will have to be done through action script and a code modification in the frame action script is required. You can email me for an example if you like -- support at koolmoves dot com

Quote Originally Posted by massandspace View Post
    I tried it both ways.....I also tried to make some different shapes in my 3D cad program, export them using .obj format....no luck.
    If you still have problems, send me two "not working" samples (3DS and OBJ).