A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offshore energy

HR is probably sitting back and chuckling like Nero atm.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform View Post
    I just started that thread and here you are people give comments including there are Windparks in the US, which I learnt from you. Why I first have to do research on this?
    You can do research on it when you are going to throw disparaging comments like 'What a difference!' into your post, which basically implies 'Look at how much better it is in Europe!' If I am not mistaken, you live in California...there are wind farms ALL OVER this state. The only research you need is to open your eyes.

Here...let me google that for you.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 04-28-2010 at 10:28 AM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    HR is probably sitting back and chuckling like Nero atm.
    Nope. Shaking my head and scrolling quickly through the storm of nonsensical posts. Same old rhetoric...

*I hear plate spinning music when I see this garbage*

Lol, and now I hear it to. You have to be impressed by the ability of some people to enter a few hundred characters and discount every assertio simultaneously.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 04-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    The individual thread or topic is of no consequence... FL and I have been having a continuation of the same conversation for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    *I hear plate spinning music when I see this garbage*
    Dammit... now I have that song stuck in my head.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Hah. I don't recall the tune. You guys must spend more time at the circus.

LR. One of these days, we'll have to see if a couple of beers can help resolve the grand debate.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    You can do research on it when you are going to throw disparaging comments like 'What a difference!' into your post, which basically implies 'Look at how much better it is in Europe!' If I am not mistaken, you live in California...there are wind farms ALL OVER this state. The only research you need is to open your eyes.
    So I just watched TV and heard that they are planning to build an offshore windpark and it's not even clear it will be done because of a lot of objections. I am not talking about windfarms in CA. I am living 50 miles away from one. They also exist since long time in Europe. However, seeing that the US goes back to offshore drilling and then encountering such accident and seeing Germany's first offshore windpark is now working as from today, either I stick to "what a difference" or may be I change to "What a backwards move".
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

You are talking about two completely separate concepts. Offshore drilling (for oil) is an effort to get us off of our dependence on foreign oil (see: OPEC.) This is basically an admission that it will take many decades for us to stop using oil for cars and other energy consuming engines that cannot use wind/solar, etc. The wind farm concept is great for electricity generation, but until we all have electric cars that we can plug into the wall, oil is here to stay. Getting it from local sources rather than from sources that...well...hate us...is probably not the worst move on the planet. The oil drilling is not INSTEAD of the wind farms...it's a different stream of sourcing a specific form of energy.

Incidentally, what a difference indeed. If I understand the translation on this chart...it says that there are 15 wind turbines in operation in Germany right now. Congrats on "making a difference." That's probably providing just barely enough juice to run Gerbick's pump when he visits Munich.
    </sarcasm>
    Last edited by hanratty21; 04-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Hey. Big Bertha is Energy Star certified.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Lighten up HR! The link I provided shows a picture of a offshore windpark opened today providing energy for 50,000 homes. I was in Germany last September and I saw many windparks often close to freeways. So I don't know what that number 15 means. It does not mean 1 propeller but most probably a park.

I know what one can do with oil and what one can do with wind energy. To get rid of oil dependence there are also other ways. In Europe already since long time they have built trains, and cars are using low gasoline whereas here it is just starting.

I would love to see a fast train from where I live to San Francisco or LA and not this middle age Armtrack running on gasoline, which takes hours and stinks. I wouldn't mind paying more taxes, if that would get us a fast train to San Francisco or LA, which can partly get its energy from offshore windparks. However, I don't even see a finger moving to start something like that. And I am not doing US Bashing. If you haven't noticed anything I am just challenging and the response now was good. FL and LR even want to drink beer together. I'll join
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

FK's own "Beer Summit"?
    Count me in!

Speaking of wind power, earlier this year the Dept. of Energy released the first comprehensive update of potential wind power for the lower 48 states since 1993.
    http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/f...sp?itemid=2542

By their estimates, using onshore wind farms alone, we have the capacity to generate 9 times the amount of electricity we are currently using.

It's not like this fact is lost on American investors and energy companies.
    By comparision the US is ahead of Germany in total capacity of wind power installed.
    At the end of 2009, Germany had almost 26GW of wind power installed, while the United States had almost 35GW installed.
    Of course, Germany is smaller so their installed capacity is a larger overall percentage of their electricity use than the US.
    Hopefully more investors like T. Boone Pickens will get into the game and really put a dent in our dependence on oil and coal.
    Nomatter whether you believe the manmade pollution and co2 is affecting the environment or not, I think we can all agree that getting away from polluting the planet and trying to be good stewards is a worthy goal.

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Independence is a more worthy goal. Sadly there are jobs at stake. I doubt more will be created than lost in a transition to renewable energy. Not that it should stop us from making it a serious priority, just that the effects both positive and negative are further reaching and poorly analyzed. Its also pretty hard to argue that the industries currently getting rich are going to willingly weather the change.

Building all those turbines will mean lots of additional jobs... the only problem is that most of them will be in Chinese factories since our gov won't let American manufacturers compete with slave labor anymore.

People b*tch and whine about either Bush's wars or Obamacare bankrupting our country, but the real thing bankrupting our country is trade imbalance.
    So long as we keep sending our money overseas buying from other countries while they're not sending any money back by buying from us, we are going to keep going in the hole.

There are risks trying to maintain status quo for oild drilling without even venturing into new rigs. How well did the american people or the american government make out when they waged war in Desert Storm?

Or did you mean like the big oil slick in the gulf right now?
    http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/29/news...rilling_spill/

Or do you feel that oil spills are a relaively low cost risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Rogue View Post
    Building all those turbines will mean lots of additional jobs... the only problem is that most of them will be in Chinese factories since our gov won't let American manufacturers compete with slave labor anymore.
    In what way do you see our government not letting US manufacturers "compete with slave labor"?
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

As our government has become more friendly to (influenced by $$$) multinational corporations they have financially rewarded outsourcing of mfg.
    We used to "punish" countries that used slave/child labor by imposing a tariff on the goods they brought into our country.
    If a pair of shoes was made in a country using slave wages at a cost of $0.10 and the same pair of shoes was made in the US at minimum wage for a cost of $2.00 then we would penalize the foreign company by imposing a $1.90 tariff thus eliminating any incentive to buy from countries that exploited workers or used unfair business practices like China manipulating their currency.

Over the last few decades the trade tariffs have all but disappeared in that regard.
    Consequently, as the tariffs decreased so did US manufacture of goods.
    Last edited by Loyal Rogue; 04-29-2010 at 11:40 PM.

This topic-tangent illustrates my point. The road-blocks and effects are far-reaching.

Overseas manufacturing is beating us more due to low overhead. They don't have to provide safe working environments, be environmentally friendly or supplement a lot of the things we are a better country for having.

So your saying bring back slave labor, unsafe woking conditions and throw the environment in the crapper?
    China didn't build the brand names we've all been using for years. Somebody from those brands went to china and said to them. We want to give you work that we'll be taking away from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    unsafe woking conditions
    I must be sleep deprived because I find this waaaay too funny in a discussion about China.