A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: xml to csv or excel?

xml to csv or excel?

We have a client who wants to send orders as xml files. We need an automated (easy) process to pull specific elements (order number, shipping method, etc.) from the xml and generate a csv file with those elements.

My original plan of attack was to open the file in Excel and build macros to manipulate the data. But Excel will not open the files unless they are in an xml spreadsheet format.

Next plan is to somehow convert the xml to a csv. Then open that in Excel and run custom macros to get what we need.

But I can't find a solution. Anyone have any ideas?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    Not sure what your problem is exactly. It sound like you need to write a simple script to parse the XML and assemble the CSV file. Just e4x and string handling. You could write a simple AIR app to do it.

I'm afraid I don't know an off-the-shelf solution, but this doesn't sound like rocket surgery.

Will the structure of the XML, and elements extracted always be the same?
    AIR, ActionScript 3, Flex and Flash expert and freelance developer

Should have prefaced this by saying I'm not a programmer nor do we have any on staff. We can outsource this, but were looking for something we could do in-house.

Thanks for the reply.

You can integrate an excel converting tool on your windows system to convert the html or xml files into single-page or multi-page excel document just within very short time.