A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: This might be really simple, but...

This might be really simple, but...

All I want to do is make something when my mouse enters or leaves the frame in actionscript 2.0. This is how new I am to this actionscript business.

Any thoughts?

What do you mean by frame? Is frame a movieClip?

gparis

dont understand what you mean
    be more specific please.
    might be addicted to flash...

By the frame, I mean the area of white that you are given to begin with when you start a new project. :P

that didn't help much..that area's called the stage. and you cant stop the users mouse since they need it to function with their computer but you can hide and show it at certain points with Mouse.hide() and Mouse.show() in the actionscript panel. if your trying to do something specific then tell us properly so we can try to help..

I believe he means that he wants to create or show an object when the mouse is on the stage. so I'm not sure what it is exactly in AS2, so someone else needs to help on the exact code.
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

@habberjabber, when the mouse is outside the flash, you can't make anything happen with Actionscript, since you are not interacting with the flash but with the html page it's embedded in. You'll need to use Javascript if you want something to happen when hovering in and out of a div (for example). I suggest you post in the Scripting & Backend Forum.

gapris

yeah you'll need to use actionscript's mutated half-brother "javascript" to do something like that on a webpage, but if you want to what xen said you could have a transparent square over the stage and use onRollOver with a var, the var would be true on the rollover and false on the rollout. if the var is false at anytime the code cannot work.would work a treat, then again maybe not but its just a thought.

if you want to make something happen when you leave the stage(the white area) you could just make a invisible border to react with right?:P
    for 1 pixel difference i wouldnt move to java hehe

Thanks guys, sorry I was a bit vague. I think I might try what was mentioned in the last two posts as messing with javascript is a bit much for me at the moment.

Thanks again for all the posts. You never know I might try the javascript in the near future. Is it easy to get to grips with?

it is when you've had a long love affair with flash & actionscript, there sort of similar.