A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Skipping to the next letter using XML files

Skipping to the next letter using XML files

I have a simple XML file that has a list of names and I need two buttons. One that simply shows the next mane and the other to show the next name that begins with a different letter. Now I can scroll through the list just fine. However I am having issues with skipping to the next name beginning with a different letter. For example if the list contained these three names; Brian, Bill and Ted I need to skip from Brian to Ted in one click.

This is the code I have so far, but for whatever reason it is skipping to the last letter in the list no matter what letter you are on currently.

PHP Code:
    currentLetter _root.nameXML.firstChild.childNodes[tempNum].attributes.name.charAt(0);
    for (
    r=0r<=_root.nameXML.firstChild.childNodes.length-1r++) {
        if (
    currentLetter != _root.irCodeXML.firstChild.childNodes[r].attributes.name.charAt(0)) {

mRDevice_txt _root.irCodeXML.firstChild.childNodes[r].attributes.name;
        }

I am by no means and expert at flash so any help would be greatly appreciated.

First things first, the best practice for looping XML is (r=0; r<xml.length; r++).

Try to make sure that the currentLetter variable is also updated when you are traversing the loop ie.

var currentLetter = _root.nameXML.firstChild.childNodes[0].attributes.name.charAt(0);
    var previousLetter = currentLetter;

for (r=0; r<_root.nameXML.firstChild.childNodes.length; r++)
    {
    currentLetter = _root.nameXML.firstChild.childNodes[r].attributes.name.charAt(0);

if(currentLetter != _root.irCodeXML.firstChild.childNodes[r].attributes.name.charAt(0))
    {
    mRDevice_txt = _root.irCodeXML.firstChild.childNodes[r].attributes.name;
    break;
    }

previousLetter = currentLetter;
    }
    }

Also, make sure you are updating the currentLetter when moving from name to name one by one.

Nice so "charAt(0)" just takes the first letter of the string? Seems simple enough thanks.

Correct!