A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D Studio Max Book

Does anyone know of a good book for 3D Studio Max? I don't know much about 3D, I do mostly programming.

Thanks

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Hello and welcome to FlashKit.

Don't feel bad - I started out programming my own 3D software back 'in the days' when there were no PC's. You might be careful about buying MAX books right now as these will probably deal with R3. R4 is scheduled to be released in a couple months.

You could start with the 3D Studio MAX f/x and Design book by Jon Bell - probably on Amazon. There is a lot of good introductory information on materials, lighting, and modeling that will serve you well for almost any version of MAX.

Just don't get too caught up on learning the R3 interface - a lot will change over the next 3-6 months.

good luck!

Thanks

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Hey there....yeap Matrix is right that's a great book

I've found the SAMS Learn 3D Studio Max in 24 hours a good book. It breaks a lot of it down into chewable chunks.

A lot of the princaples and simply explained with good working tutorials too.

Another place to check out is http://www.3dcafe.com they have heaps of cool tuts

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I think the best first book for max is "3D Studio Max 3 Visual quistart guide" Peach Pit Press Michele Matossian is the author. Its a no nonsence approch to using Max. They walk you thought step by step and things are agranged as a quick refrence guide also. I spent an entire afternoon at Boarders books looking for the right one. If I were you I would spend some time at a big bookstore and find the one you like. I think there was something like 28 books I went through before I decided. Regards, Bill

IMHO, I think that 3D Studio Max R3 in Depth by Ron Polevoi is a good one. The emphasis is not on cranking out 3d models and animations only. Rather, it takes an explanatory approach to the software and concepts involved. Not a great book, but a good one. Polevoi teaches and is also quite handy at Shout 3D--one of the pioneers, in fact. Visit his site at http://www.webreference.com/3d/ for some excellent informaion about Max and 3d animmation in general. Hope this helps.