A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do you increase the Gray working area in Flash?

resolved [RESOLVED] How do you increase the Gray working area in Flash?

Hi, I'm working on a proyect that requires huge levels and I Need a larger area to work with (Gray Area not stage size) the area that flash gives me is barely half of it and working while moving all the stage feels dumb, and it's hard to coordinate everything back together and make it work properly(bugs I don't need)
    so anyone knows a way?
    changing a ini file perhaps like you do in games, anything?

my flash ver is CS3.

EDIT: sorry for not being around more, I'm giving it more work to my studies, need to get an effing tittle.
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 05-16-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Junior Senior
    I'm pretty sure that limit is set in stone, so the short answer is you should avoid making the level so big.

That said, one workaround is to have your level inside an MC and scale the MC to 25% or however small you need to see the whole thing at once, then scale it up again at run time.

You'll run into a bunch of other issues with really large levels, like the max size of bitmaps being around 2880x2880 pixels, so you wont be able to cache as bitmap, and if it gets really huge, you'll start seeing floating point errors when your player x is at 1,000,000 and the stage x is -1,000,400
    Signature

Just work inside a MC and problem solved.

@Geneve, I'm searching for a solution that doesn't require me to move everything all around the stage.

@Both, I'm already using layers and a very modified V_cam, I fixed all the floating point errors posible so I can go as far as I want.

Makes no sense then in what you want. Seems like you want a gameplay area of 5000x5000 or something.... that can be done, but don't think anyone has that big resolution and would run slow. And no one would play it then...... to me it's not clear what you want :/.

at least 20000x20000
    and It wouldn't run slow that's why I optimized it so much!

EDIT.-I don't work inside an MC I use a V-cam so I draw everything in stage.

Junior Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Never_land:( View Post
    EDIT.-I don't work inside an MC I use a V-cam so I draw everything in stage.
    Those are not mutually exclusive, you can still put the entire stage contents inside an MC so it is more easily movable and scalable. But - why aren't you scaling down both the stage contents and the vCam view area to make it fit the work area?
    Last edited by slight; 05-18-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Signature

I'll have to think that for my next proyect
    sigh.... well thanks anyways.

Junior Senior
    I'm not sure what intricacies of your project may be preventing it, but you know that you can select every object on every layer on every frame all at once and scale them all down in one go, right?
    Signature

my camera angle system doesn't let me, If I shrink one I F*ck up all the work of polishing the cameras.