A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need a Vector Screentone pack - also, check out my comic (page 1)!

Exclamation I need a Vector Screentone pack - also, check out my comic (page 1)!

I recently bought Manga Studio EX under the mistaken impression that it allows for manipulation of vector graphics. In reality, only the screentones are vector and importing a vector img is not possible.

As you can see, without shading and explosive speed lines, this image isn't all it could be.

As I'm not sure as to what dimensions/resolution my comic will finally be printed at, I need to be able to use both vector images and vector screen tones. Desperately. Any suggestions?

I'm still learning...
    Nice pic.

I don't understand screentones. Why not just use illustrator to draw?

Thnx. The moon is drawn, but the city I created as a 3d model in 3ds max and rendered it using illustrate as a .swf. As I'm not sure as to what dimensions/resolution my comic will finally be printed at, I need to be able to use both vector images and vector screen tones.

I'm going to try doing the screentones in Manga Studio and the line work in Flash and combining the two.

No sure what your issue is but you could easily lay that image on a top layer in Illustrator and set it's transparency to 'multiply' at which point you could create vector shapes underneath as needed.
    You may get a better image out of 3ds max using the mental ray vector plugin.
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...ntalrayvec.php

When in doubt, always render at high resolutions (300 dpi). Most 3d apps don't allow you to specify a dpi but you can just set the dimensions high enough so that when reduced, the image will be your intended res.

On that same note, if your Manga Studio file dimensions are high enough, you should be safe to print anywhere.

No sure what your issue is but you could easily lay that image on a top layer in Illustrator and set it's transparency to 'multiply' at which point you could create vector shapes underneath as needed.
    Are you suggesting creating the screentones dot by dot? No thnx! That's why I'm in here requesting a screentone pack.

When in doubt, always render at high resolutions (300 dpi). Most 3d apps don't allow you to specify a dpi
    Since it's rendering a vector image, it's resolution independent. Essentially ∞ dpi.

So...
    //almost afraid to ask
    anyone here have a vector screen tone pack for Flash?

what do you mean by screentone pack?

EDIT: Oh you mean line-screen? I honestly don't know why one would need such an archaic approach since any decent art program should be able to set the screen angle and frequency upon output.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 06-01-2010 at 02:51 PM.

I've no idea what a line-screen is.

Screen tones are at the most basic a pattern of thousands of black dots. They are meant to suggest colors depending on their density and arrangement and are used to color, shade, and highlight B&W images. Screentone packs are an assortment of screen tones.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejkelley View Post
    Screen tones are at the most basic a pattern of thousands of black dots. They are meant to suggest colors depending on their density and arrangement and are used to color, shade, and highlight B&W images. Screentone packs are an assortment of screen tones.
    That is a line-screen. Any post script printer description file can create a line-screen out of half-tones upon output. You can assign the angle (rotation of the dot pattern) and frequency (number of dots per inch) on a per color basis.
    It's basic screen-printing.

Screen tones are at the most basic a pattern of thousands of black dots. But there are many other shapes and patterns (incld. pictures) that serve to represent not just tone but texture. A line-screen would be inadequate.

Anyone have a vector screentone pack?

I'm curious, can you link me to an example of a screentone made up of pictures or shapes?