A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you into comics? (dc, marvel)

Are you into comics? (dc, marvel)

Strictly speaking about the DB and Marvel comics here.

I'm not into comics, except for what I guess we all know thanks to pop culture, movies, and tv. But I picked up a Batman/Superman comic the other day, and while it's easy to understand, it has so many references to things I have no clue what they're about.

For example, I didn't know that superman was married to Lois Lane, or that Lex Luthor is dead. They mentioned some characters names I've never heard about, and talk about some dead dudes (like, Robin died?).

It seems like the superhero universe is really complicated. How do you do if you want to start reading comics nowadays? You have to get issues since 1995 so you can understand everything that's going on? Do you have to read everything that comes out? Is there continuity in comics, like, every Spiderman series continues from the core story, or they reboot everything every time?

Are you into these type of comics? I see now that you really have to be nerdy to keep up with it seriously, the superhero world is more complex than Lost.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Like any progressive story line, you can't just jump in late in the game. Would you recommend someone just watch the last season of Lost?
    I never collected comics seriously aside from Iron Man as a kid but my older brother has been a big fan since childhood. I learned most of what I know through him. For the most part, comic fans are not to be FK'd with and they will burn buildings if they don't like a new writer or artist so story line continuity is taken very seriously.

Some concessions have to be taken from time to time. Captain America had to die for example to restore interest. GI Joe has been rebooted to take place in a modern world, to great effect I might add. Still, like any culture, there's going to be purist haters and rose colored fanboys.

Also learning about a comic universe through anything but comics is like taking a science class taught by a priest. It's either going to be way off base (see: Hulk the movie), conveniently altered (see: Transformers the movie) or something else entirely (see: GI Joe the movie).

There are some pretty good wiki's out there.
    http://marvel.com/universe/
    http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/heroes_and_villains/

I have never been a big marvel fan, All the Dc characters are better except the flash who i think is retarded.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I'm a big comic book fan and they are very very confusing, even if you follow them pretty regularly.

The worst part is, that there are "alternate" universes in which dont even correlate with the "main" story line but contain the same characters.

The Marvel Universe has an alternate universe called "The Ultimates", which spawned a new series of books for almost every main storyline (Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate Fantastic Four, etc) where the characters and team structures are held in tact for the most part, but their origins and storylines are completely different.

It makes it really hard to just decide to jump in and start reading. I have to collect everything back from the 1st issues and go from there. Trade Paperbacks are the way to go if you're into that.

Another easy way to get into comics is to just read mini-series like the darker Batman stuff (Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, etc). These are easier because they dont really require any prior knowledge, are usually pretty short, and have a definitive ending to the story.

I used to collect back in the day. Seems like I remember there being some type of guide books that you could get that were like Cliff Notes for the stories.

Also, there might be sources on-line now that have older comics scanned. (is that legal?).
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Huge comic book fan... and their story lines are more convoluted than Lost ever could have been.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Sigh, I just read through Iron Man's and both Whiplashes bio's. They actually cherry picked from both villans stories, bent Starks over backwards and had foodie sex with all three to create the Iron Man movies. I can see doing that with Transformers since the original plot lines were thrown together in order make a shipping deadline but Tony's first two lives are actually somewhat gritty and movie worthy. I appreciate trying to inject these I.P.'s into a believable world but why skimp on the hero/villan cast so much. I love the first Iron Man movie as a character origin but the climax with Iron Monger and the revealing of his true identity didn't come until much later than all of Iron Man 2, which btw should have focused much more on the crime syndicate Maggia and the early rustlings of what would become the Avengers. Oh and Tony helped start SHEILD, he was not recruited.

I'm into comic sans.

start a post where we might discuss about men in spandex and admedia appears...coincidence???

I might start reading spiderman or batman. Other than that, maybe Green Lantern (just because I wanted that ring when I was a kid).
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta View Post
    I might start reading spiderman or batman. Other than that, maybe Green Lantern (just because I wanted that ring when I was a kid).
    Spiderman and Batman are great but tough choices. You need to pick between long running series like The Spectacular Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman, Amazing Spiderman, Astonishing Spiderman, Web of Spiderman, etc. Batman gets even crazier.

Good luck my friend.

I think I'm going to start with Batman "Hush"
    Sponsored by your mom.

I have a fairly intelligent comic store up the street from my office. I asked the guy for a recommendation on a good graphic novel as a gift for my brother. He simply picked up a copy of this, bagged it and started ringing me up. Haven't read it but the reviews are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta View Post
    I think I'm going to start with Batman "Hush"
    Hush is done rather well. Tim Sale's take on Batman - Long Halloween - is another good, one-shot story for Batman.

Spiderman lost me with the ****ing clone saga. I've never returned, never probably will.

I'm more into darker comics as of late. Scalped, 100 Bullets, Fables are my current style. But as of late, Secret Avengers started off with a serious bang (to me) as well as some others in the Siege aftermath. Thor has picked up - I used to hate dude. Hulk got weird... again. Superman, I don't even know what's happening there. And the Flash is conflicted.

Batman is also weird now, wait until his return before jumping in, if I were you.

But Hush... loved it. Hush II, not so much.

There are a lot of good Batman mini-series'.

Killing Joke
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    Dark Knight Returns
    Arkham Asylum

Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns are both must reads.

I havent read Hush or Year One yet but own them both, they look very promising.

I have the James Jean's Fables covers book and it is amazing. If the comics are as good as the cover art, I'm definitely going to read that one

I might pick up the New X-men I love the art of Skottie Young, and Niko Henrichon is also good.
    Maybe also Nyx (that's wolverine daughter I think), as Josh Middleton's art is also really cool.
    Sponsored by your mom.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    *is waiting patiently for someone to make a flash tool that generates Comics*

lets really nerd out for a second

who wins in a cross promotion battle

Batman Superman Green Arrow

VS
    IronMan Thor HawkEye
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

The only super-natural being out of those are superman and thor and I think superman comes out on top.

actually I think there was a batman vs supes comic/book..

and I 'think' batman wins? (damn now I cant remember!) lol

Batman keeps some kyrptonite in his utility belt.