A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Achieving small swf files in flash cs4

Smile Achieving small swf files in flash cs4

I am an aspiring media buyer. I am learning flash to make flash banners. I am using Photoshop Elements and feel fairly good about getting photos to small file size with the save for web function.
    However, I am having a very difficult time keeping even the more simple motion tweens from blowing up the file size. The networks want max 45K for the file size (300X250 pixel banner). I always end up at about 100K even with a simple motion tween.
    I need some general input on the workflow and optimization of swf output. I have figured out that you can reduce jpeg quality in the publish screen and I have the compression button checked there. I think my problem is not understanding how to think "optimize" from the very start and do the correct procedures.
    I also do not yet understand the publish button itself. Should you publish before exporting as swf? What is a swv file that saves with the swf?
    I understand that index color is the way to go and that it is automatic with a gif, but the network wants everything in SWF.
    I have watched a ton of tutorials on Adobe TV and others and just can't seem to find this info. I am hoping for some general feedback or some suggested resources where I can find this info....

Hey there Ipowerpilot. Man - thats an impressive first post.
    Welcome to Flashkit.
    Hopefully someone more experienced than I can give you some points on compression etc, but here's my experience.
    I've done tonne's of banner ads and from my point of view - Vector is the king. Vector everything and your file sizes will stay small.
    If you look around the web most 'basic' banners (the ones not using video preloaders etc) don't use heaps of images, and if they do use images they are of a really low quality.
    As far as the correct procedures I'd definately recommend resizing your images in photoshop down to the size they'll be used in the finished product before importing into flash. When using photoshop use the 'save for web' options and switch between gifs and jpgs, check the various options for quality etc and compare file size, and quality. You'll have to make a judgement call between quality and file size, but hey - thats what us banner ad guys have to do.
    Also when you're testing your movie, turn on the bandwidth profiler (View - bandwidth profiler) and it'll give you a good idea of whats using all the size.
    As far as the publishing goes, I usually just use test movie while I'm developing then check all publish settings and publish when I'm happy with everything.
    Hope this helps.
    Happy Flashing!
    EA.

Thanks for the feedback AE. Very helpful. It seems, for me, anyway, there is a big difference between knowing things about Flash and being capable of creating a professional looking banner.

I wonder if you could help with a couple of questions.

1) What is the procedure for publishing? When I push that " publish" botton, nothing happens. Is it just getting the file ready for publishng? I am thinking that you just publish, then export as swf......and the publishing part is just preparation. Correct thinking?

2) When I export as swf, I get an addition file labeled "textlayout.swz" What the hay is it?