A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [WIP] Text-based RPG

Post [WIP] Text-based RPG

I am developing a text-based RPG and this is VERY early in development. I was just looking for a little feedback as to whether I seem to be going in the right direction with this. I have some of the core mechanics laid out, but at this point it's not really much of a game.

The user interface will eventually undergo a massive overhaul, but as of now, there won't be much in the way of graphics.

I was thinking of possibly adding animations in later once I have the game actually playable, but I would need some assistance there, as I'm not the greatest artist.

The player will have stats (strength, agility, intelligence, etc.) upon which to base certain skills (firearms, melee weapons, first aid, etc.). The goal of the game will be ultimately to survive. I know the genre has been milked to death, but I've got
    a fascination with the living dead, so the game will be largely based in a post-apocalyptic world infested with zombies. Rooms/buildings will be able to be barricaded, NPC zombies will wander through the world almost at random. Everything will be turn based as well.

So...
    Just let me know what you think and if you've got any suggestions, just let me know.

(Link)

And keep in mind, this is VERY early in development.
    Last edited by Br1dge Tr0ll; 06-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.

I'm not too keen on the unfolding menus. I think part of the fun with text games resides in typing the actions with the keyboard.

Apart from that, I didnt encounter bugs apart from missing functions and it's a good start. Keep it up !

I've already been planning to rearrange the menu system and, if I feel like I've got time after everything's finished, I will add the functionality to type the actions. I just wanted something a little more physical and idiot-proof in the beginning.

But thanks for the feedback.

I've still got a long way to go with functionality, but I've got some ideas already on how I'm going to go about implementing the planned features.
    Last edited by Br1dge Tr0ll; 06-25-2010 at 06:18 AM.

*UPDATE*
    I've made a fair amount of progress since I first posted here. Just wanted to see if anyone else has any new feedback for me.

I'm not sure where I was exactly in terms of functioning features when I first posted, but I'll try to list some of what I have now as well as some of what I plan to include in the future. This list is probably a little incomplete, so bear with me, take a look at the game itself to see everything first-hand.

-Combat System.
    -Player can attack NPCs.
    -NPCs can retaliate.
    -NPCs can attack other NPCs. (Not Implemented)
    -Weapons and skills influence damage, accuracy, etc.
    -Speech System.
    -NPCs of importance can be spoken to.
    -Dialogue can influence the gameworld heavily.
    -Inventory System.
    -Items can be picked up and dropped by the player.
    -A limit is imposed on the amount able to be carried based on player stats. (Not Implemented)
    -Weapons can be equipped.
    -Container System.
    -Containers can be searched.
    -Dead NPCs essentially become containers allowing for their bodies to be looted.
    -Room System.
    -The player is able to move from room to room.
    -Rooms can be locked blocking entry by the player or an NPC.
    -NPC AI
    -NPCs follow the player if in combat.
    -Depending on player's skills or other circumstances the NPC may not notice the player. (Not Implemented)
    -Written/Typed Commands
    -Substitute natural English typing of commands in the place of the present GUI. (Currently broken allowing for the commands to affect only certain things in the gameworld due a conflict with the need for non-unique NPCs.)
    -Narrative
    -A story plays out as the player goes through the game complete with triggered events based on the player's decisions.

Probably doesn't seem like much, but those are mainly features currently available. I plan on including many more such as: An improved combat system, a crafting system, skills that grow as you use them, wandering NPCs, create your own group of survivors, set up camp, etc.

(Link)

At the moment it's still barely playable in that there aren't many rooms, items, NPCs, etc. But once I have the core mechanics down I'm going to expand the game world more.
    Last edited by Br1dge Tr0ll; 06-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.

I really like it. I think it would be nice with some simple pictures of things, even just 16x16 ones, but it can get away without that.

I ended up attacking the Guy by accident while running from the Zombie. Maybe a confirmation message before attacking non-aggressive characters would be nice.

I was thinking the same thing with the pictures, and I may get to that eventually, but at the moment it's not a big priority.
    I did however change it so that a confirmation message does appear when you go to attack friendly NPCs.
    Thanks for your feedback.

This site has a good list of open source tiles that might make pictures easier.

Hmmm, thanks for the link. Only problem is that while I may be able to use some of those tiles, I'm looking for something a little more modern than what I was able to find there.

*UPDATE*
    Implemented a save game system as well as a basic menu system.

*EDIT*
    The save system was bugged, but I think I've worked out all the kinks. Added basic sounds to certain actions. Still working on the whole sound thing, some are too quiet, some are too loud, some actions have no sound, etc. I think I'm going to have to find some music to play in the background as well.

(Link)
    Last edited by Br1dge Tr0ll; 06-28-2010 at 03:51 AM.