A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there a flash help chat somewhere?

Is there a flash help chat somewhere?

Was wondering if anyone know of a chat dedicated for flash programming.

Senior Wabbit
    nope but this entire forum is and if you every need anything me or one the other thousands of members can help out

Trust my code, and not my english.

Considering most questions (especially the complicated ones) take quite a lot of research, digging through resources, help documentation, etc, it only makes sense that a superior method of assistance is a forum. Answers are often well thought out and useful.

In chat, I suppose you could be assisted with quick questions, or people struggling with the initial learning curve, and that's theoretically fine, if not for some big pitfalls:

1. Chat is not typically archived, meaning other people with similar questions are unable to seek help. It is only valuable to the person asking the question.
    2. Chat is usually informal and doesn't require a login, which means it is difficult to police (preventing spammers, troublemakers, etc)
    3. Chat would become the first-stop reference for those learning Flash, which means a whole lot of people wasting the time of experienced Flash developers, answering very fundamental questions which could answered with two minutes of research/resource checking.

I don't mean to gauge your level of experience, but if you are seeking chat based help, it probably means you either are in a hurry to get a complicated question answered, or you have a lot of small fundamental questions.

If the latter, the right query on Google will often get you the fundamental knowledge you seek.

If the former, why are you wasting time making posts like this when I could have just have easily of spent this time answering your question?
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

Thanks for your post TheWaste.

You are right I usually get good answers out of this forum, unfortunately for me, I'm one of those who can't do different coding branch when I'm stuck with an issue. I just want to resolve the current issue to keep coding.

Last post I wrote, I got cancerinform to give me a pretty good answer, but it took more than 1 day.

Whenever I can think of the right keywords for a google/forum search, I do it. But sometimes I cannot figure what would be the right ones to find the solution and a chat would be much faster to figure what cause the problem and acquire those keywords which then could help to make a good search of create a good topic.

Another issue I have is my pretty average english, and when people like 5tonsofflax (which is very helpful and no hate at all against him) answer my questions, the awesome grammar and vocabulary he uses, added to the complexity of as3 explanations , gives me more confusion than help at times.

Also a real time chat exchange would be better to make my problem more understandable in the cases where I fail to be clear on what it is due to my lack of knowledge of as3 terms or english vocabulary.

Don't feel rude asking whoever is helping you to go into more depth about explaining the question. Lately I've been making a habit of subscribing to a thread after I help someone in case the answer I gave didn't help the person.

I also try not to reply to topics if I don't feel like I know the topic well enough to see the problem to a resolution. That way, the thread will have zero replies and will still be much more likely to attract someone to help.

I've subscribed to this thread to help you further. Please link me to the thread where you need more help or understanding and I will try to explain. I should note though that I'm only migrating to as3 myself. Or re-post the question here.

I know it's hard waiting for an answer. I've been trying to force myself to work on the most difficult code first so that if I need help I can post the question on a forum, and then work on the simpler code while I wait to ensure that I'm always being productive. Hopefully that might help you in the future, though I understand that not everyone's work-flow is the same...
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaFlash View Post
    Was wondering if anyone know of a chat dedicated for flash programming. http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=814838flash chat
    Also interested in finding a place where conversation goes beyond traditional topic posting....