A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet speed

internet speed

Just read an article about US internet speeds and decided to test mine out(just got it yesterday).

Not too shabby for $17 a month and over wireless.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

"We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Damn that's nice. I was pretty disappointed when I read about Fairpoint having fiber optics but not available in my area yet because the speeds were WAY faster for even cheaper.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

part of my cable/internet package $80
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    Damn that's nice. I was pretty disappointed when I read about Fairpoint having fiber optics but not available in my area yet because the speeds were WAY faster for even cheaper.
    Comcast seems to have many "friends" in the state government here. So, I guess the silver lining is that they usually roll out the new systems here early.

I used to have the max speed package that was 50 Mbs down / 12 Mbs up. It was just over-kill so I downgraded to the 30/7 and can barely tell the difference.

We almost got comcast but all their packages were crazy. None of us even watch cable tv so we just opted for just internet and this was $20 a month cheaper(37 cheaper for the first 6 months)

"Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

old isp

currently stuck with BT

Speed at my office

Do you guys even notice the difference on the download side? The slowdown (for me) always seems to be the up speed, not the down. Also, as more and more starts moving into the cloud, speed should be much less important, no?
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I do notice upload issues but it seems to have more to do with the recipient than the ISP. Subversion on media temples grid service is straight up painful.

I agree with the cloud sentiment but at the same time, internet speeds should be a non-issue all the way around. Things seem to be headed in the right direction but understandably there is a ways to go before no one notices their speed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Do you guys even notice the difference on the download side? The slowdown (for me) always seems to be the up speed, not the down. Also, as more and more starts moving into the cloud, speed should be much less important, no?
    It's not very noticeable for basic web-browsing. But, it's noticeable when downloading large files (photoshop files, videos, audio assets, xbox game demos, etc.). The connections for on-line gaming also seem to work better. The additional bandwidth helps with multiple people using it at the same time. Wife downloading from iTunes doesn't affect me watching lion attacks on youtube, etc.

The upload speed is indispensable for dev. Updating svn, sending client files, etc.
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 06-24-2010 at 04:36 PM.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar

This is at work using a fiber connection that promises a 20mb/s connection.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Just moved house and haven’t got broadband yet (or indeed a telephone line), so using a USB dongle...

What it doesn’t tell you is that once you get to about 10MB of any file, the speed slows down to 0kbps. My fault for living in the country I suppose.

Guys.. you are NO match..

I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

oh damn.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    was just considering upgrading to FiberOptics today, almost the same amount I pay now, with 16 Mbps but thy use Fair Use Policy- which probably means crap and limited downloads-

atRax, try that at your house, just like everybody else and not your companies T3.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    a benefit of working as the janitor is that work IS your home