A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Launching an AVI File with FSCommand (Please help, its urgent!!!)

Billionaire Philanthropist

Launching an AVI File with FSCommand (Please help, its urgent!!!)

Hey guys,
    I realize that the answer to this question maybe akin to finding a needle in a haystack and that asking this question might be like shooting in the dark, however I'll ask for the hell of it; for my own piece of mind...

I'm trying to open an AVI file, with the fsCommand in my standalone Flash Application. The AVI in question is located on a remote drive.

Is there anyway that I can open the remote AVI file using the fscommand, without relocating it to the fscommand folder?

By the way i have currently accessing it via the use of the getURL function but would rather steer away from that as it opens up a blank tab in Firefox every time the AVI file is accessed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm Using CS4 / AS2
    Last edited by Anthony Stark; 07-12-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Put a BAT file in the fscommand folder and use fscommand("exec", "playavi.bat") to launch it. The BAT file should contain commands to launch your AVI file. There are a few issues you may run into, they're all explained and resolved by the following posts from my blog.

Conquering FSCommand EXEC Part 1 : Proxy

Fixing the Windows Start Command in Vista
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Absolutely Perfect, with ncStart thank you Tim, you don't know how much stress you've saved me.

One quick question, I read your "Fixing the Windows Start Command in Vista" blog and I came across the verb switch section, which got me thinking... Is there a way supposedly using the verb switch, that I could load the initial AVI into Windows Media Player (default program) an then using the same bat file, load a second, third, fourth etc... etc... AVI there by appending them to the current play list?
    Last edited by Anthony Stark; 07-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Windows Media Player should not start multiple instances so if you use a BAT file to open AVI files they should open in the running instance. You could also create a playlist and launch the playlist instead of individual AVI files, but then you don't have any control once you launch the playlist. I don't know what kind of command line options WMP has but you might be able to control it that way as well, the real issue with that is knowing where WMP is and then what parameters to pass it (if it works that way).
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Unbelievable, it worked. It honestly didn't occur to me because I don't normally employ the use of Windows Media Playlists for the reasons I need them for now.

Cheers Mate you're golden.