A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: php vs coldfusion vs .net

php vs coldfusion vs .net

I have been taught to use php and I don't see much wrong with it.

I see that some people use coldfusion or .net is there any of these 3 languages that can be considered as being better than the other?
    Or does it come down to personal preference?
    Maybe each one has its own specialities?

Which one would you stay is the most reliable/stable.

hi,

Basically, it's a matter of taste...
    All have advantages and disadvantages.
    Php is free and open source. It has a huge community around it, lots of resources, ...

.NET is a rather complex agglomeration of windows technologies. .NET supports multiple languages and has many components. If constructed properly, .NET code on your server can run natively in a windows environment meaning you get tremendous speed advantages comparable to C or C++ code compiled natively. Different configurations might result in ASP pages performing much closer to PHP speeds. I'm not certain, but I think .NET only runs on windows machines which tend to be more expensive to acquire from a hosting company.

PHP runs on mac, linux, and windows machines because it uses a virtual machine type structure. This results in performance a great deal slower than natively compiled code, but is plenty fast enough to support most sites (such as this one!). It's free and the language is extremely well documented at http://php.net. It's a very popular language with a huge number of features and very helpful user communities such as PHPBuilder. You don't need a fancy development environment and can write basic scripts in a simple text editor. It's extremely easy to get started writing PHP. DISCLAIMER: I absolutely love php and know a lot more about it than the other two languages.

I don't know anything about coldfusion. I've seen some cool folks using it, but suspect that it has a limited lifetime and might be a bit pricey. I'd bet it's got a lot of cool features for interacting with Flash applications.
    Write multiplayer games with FlashMOG 0.3.1
    Try the MyPlan Salary Calculator

I'm sure Adobe disagrees about the "limited lifetime" of ColdFusion.
    If you're using ColdFusion you have Flash Remoting out of the box. But PHP also has AMFPHP or ZendAmf.

Yes, both ColdFusion and .NET hosting are (usually) more expensive than PHP's.

ColdFusion is funny to use. If you're curious, you can download and install a free copy localy from Adobe's website.

Quote Originally Posted by nunomira View Post
    I'm sure Adobe disagrees about the "limited lifetime" of ColdFusion.
    No doubt! It's my understanding that cold fusion developers get paid really well because they're so hard to find these days. At least that's what one of my clients was telling me. I've seen a lot of posts about them being a 'dying breed'.

Sounds interesting though about the remoting.
    Write multiplayer games with FlashMOG 0.3.1
    Try the MyPlan Salary Calculator

Really it is a matter of what you feel most comfortable with. I have developed in all of the above languages and they all have the same end result. I do think that ColdFusion is a little bit easier to learn, but I am sure that there are others that would disagree. As far as cost, I don't think that is really an issue anymore. There are versions of ColdFusion (blueDragon, etc) that are now free.

If a company is going to pay you to do the work, then that is what counts.

hello
    I am going with CF. This is my point of view It is best for me i think Coldfusion is better for a lot of reasons. Some i mention
    follow

1.Very easy to learn compared to other.
    2.The ColdFusion administrator is very easy to use and has a nice User Interface.
    3.Writing ColdFusion applications require much less code compared to other.
    4.Coding applications is much less time consuming as ColdFusion is much more Robust than other.
    5.ColdFusion has something called Custom Tags, which makes the managing and accessing of website templates a breeze.
    6.Very easy to use coldfusion OOP functions. Also allows for .NET and Java integration.
    7.Integrates very well with Flex.
    8.Although the Adobe ColdFusion server is not open source, there is an excellent ColdFusion alternative.
    9.Extremly Robust with a vast amount of built in javascript packages like cfgrid, cfwindow and cftooltip. Also coldfusion has built in functions to allow ajax binding extremly simple.
    10.Extremely easy to read compared to other.