A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Wireless access point

Wireless access point

We’ve got a fairly extensive network in the office I’m working in at the moment, with a router and a couple of hubs. We need a wireless access point for all our WiFi stuff.

Any recommendations? Doesn’t have to be great, the office isn’t that big – but preferably one that doesn’t also want to be a router.

Go with the router. It's probably got better parts built into it than the WAP anyway, and most, if not all, will allow you to use it in 'WAP mode.' I've gone through so many Linksys, DLink, etc. over the years...when I finally bought into the hype and got the Apple router and could not have been happier since. No failures, no dropped packets, no random shutdowns, etc.

p.s. This is coming from a non-fanboy. The Airport express is pretty cheap...
    Last edited by hanratty21; 07-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

We bought a cheap D-Link AP, which took no time to set up and works perfectly, for our 2 story apartment. At my parents place I just installed DD-WRT on an old WRT54G router, and it also works very well, though the flashing and configuration is kinda tricky. My advice is to just buy a cheap repeater.

I use a Time Capsule and AirPort Express at home and have had a similar experience to you hanratty21, neither of them have missed a beat – was trying to avoid £100, more like £30 – but I think I might have to tell the boss you get what you pay for and up the budget a bit!

Thanks guys.