A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Loop a pre-existing FLV

Loop a pre-existing FLV

I have been asked to loop an existing FLV file that someone else created. I do not know what version of Flash was used to create this file, however I do have an older version 7.2 Flash MX Pro. Currently the FLV starts automatically and stops and the end of the movie. The owner of the site would like the movie to start over with a continuous loop. I'm pretty much of a rookie with Flash and with HTML5 coming out soon, I don't think I'll get a chance to become a pro at this. Any advise on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

As long as you can open the flv file...you shouldnt have a problem.

The flv will loop continously, unless and until a frame action or any other action tells it to stop.

Hope that helps
    RanTen
    Unrepentant Rebel & Boat Rocker
    http://ranten.celltrix.com

I can't open the FLV file in Flash MX. That is my problem.

oh...then probably, you have been given a flv which was made in a newer version of Flash.
    RanTen
    Unrepentant Rebel & Boat Rocker
    http://ranten.celltrix.com

I think there's some confusion between .flv and .fla. To make an .flv loop, you need to tell the video player to make it loop. The video player is either something downloaded, or something someone made themselves. If they made it themself, you need the source file so you can edit it. If they downloaded it, you need to know where they got it so you can see if you can pass it some info to tell it to loop. OR, you can make your own player and tell it to loop.

So the question is, who made your player and can you get the source file?

Quote Originally Posted by rdoyle720 View Post
    I think there's some confusion between .flv and .fla. To make an .flv loop, you need to tell the video player to make it loop. The video player is either something downloaded, or something someone made themselves. If they made it themself, you need the source file so you can edit it. If they downloaded it, you need to know where they got it so you can see if you can pass it some info to tell it to loop. OR, you can make your own player and tell it to loop.

So the question is, who made your player and can you get the source file?
    I found the answer to my problem. The HTML coding called for the videoplayer.swf, and the video player pointed to the FLV file. I found different video player that allow me to loop the video from the FLV and accomplish the results I was looking for. Thank you one and all.