A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology cleaning.

Technology cleaning.

Ok, so I am a taxi call taker and I work the graveyard shifts. I had this women on the line requesting a taxi. Then I hear her flushing the toilet.

Now it made me think. I wonder, did she actually consider cleaning her cell phone? Because she had to press the disconnect button after she flushed the toilet.

Sure, its a weird thing to think about. But we have to consider the little things for germs. Most of us wash our hands after we use the washroom. If we are in the bathroom with a cell phone, or a laptop, or ipad, this has to be considered too.

How often do you clean the technology you use? I always clean my keyboard at work before I use it. I see people at the hospital every day using a cell phone and wiping hands, but not the phones they use.( I go every day for IV treatments).

On the bus I see people using cell phones, and they are sure to wash hands after they ride the bus. I even see them cough into their arms.

Just something

cellphones, keyboards, doorhandles, the soap dispenser.

all those have more germs then the average toilet seat.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

i go through a bottle of hand sanitizer every couple weeks at work. If i touch something someone else touched, i sanitize. I don't trust anyone and their cleanliness habits. Plus i work with the general public...never a good combo.

Another of my FK'ing ideas stolen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS5M6xh8V7k

Bah. Keep on using hand sanitizer, your immune system will eventually get weaker meanwhile the germs will get more resistant. That is a bad place to put yourself if you can avoid it.

Germs are bad. But I fear sanitizers and antibiotics are going to make a bigger problem down the line.

Oh... and wash your damn hands before using the cellphone and after using the bathroom.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

We're all overlooking the fact that the women in the original post was in such a hurry to get a taxi that she just couldn't wait to go to the bathroom?

I'm with Gerbs on this. While you're sanitizing your hands for that moment you aren't letting our immune system fight off the small stuff and get stronger. So when the newer more resistant strains comes around you'll really be in for it. We're all setting ourselves up for down the road when that one little strain of super cold comes around like the black plague and wipes us all out. A REAL H1N1 type thing- not some media hyped up crap.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Rooms in high end business oriented hotels come with phones wall mounted right next to the sh*tter. Business travelers don't pass staph infections, evidently.

I am also one of those in the camp that don't believe in the whole hand sanitizer thing. You 'wash' your hands with this magic potion, but nothing actually goes anywhere. When using soap and water, whatever comes off of you goes down the drain. By rubbing this lotion on your hands, where does all of the bad stuff go?
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

mmm signature

^exactly.

I sanitize my keyboard and mouse as well because of this fear. Yes. my workplace has mice. And no, i do not work in food service.

i have two jar of vodka on my desk, i just dip my hands inside and abra cadabra sanitized hands.

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    i have two jar of vodka on my desk, i just dip my hands inside and abra cadabra sanitized hands.
    I'm with you silver, although, I cut out the middle man and just drink the vodka, killing anything that the stomach acids don't take care of...
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpipe1 View Post
    I'm with you silver, although, I cut out the middle man and just drink the vodka, killing anything that the stomach acids don't take care of...
    I'm with you two... but I have a bathtub full of vodka and cut out the middle man by bathing in it, absorbing through the skin, killing anything that's on the surface.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I'm with you two... but I have a bathtub full of vodka and cut out the middle man by bathing in it, absorbing through the skin, killing anything that's on the surface.
    Nice! Next step...vodka hot tub!!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    i tried this but i got a little drunk and vomited into teh tub, and then someone came over and thought it was jungle juice and before i could stop them....

I think you guys totally mis-interpreted "bathtub vodka"

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    I am also one of those in the camp that don't believe in the whole hand sanitizer thing. You 'wash' your hands with this magic potion, but nothing actually goes anywhere. When using soap and water, whatever comes off of you goes down the drain. By rubbing this lotion on your hands, where does all of the bad stuff go?
    LOL

It doesn't "go" anywhere.
    The active ingredient in hand sanitizer is alcohol.
    Of course most brands include a moisturizer gel base to give it some body, keep your skin from drying out, and make the rubes believe they're buying something more special than ordinary rubbing alcohol at 100x the price.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Rogue View Post
    LOL

It doesn't "go" anywhere.
    The active ingredient in hand sanitizer is alcohol.
    Of course most brands include a moisturizer gel base to give it some body, keep your skin from drying out, and make the rubes believe they're buying something more special than ordinary rubbing alcohol at 100x the price.
    Yes, exactly my point...it doesn't 'go' anywhere. So, the alcohol somehow 'neutralizes' whatever it is that it's supposed to be neutralizing, but you're still dirty. You just have neutralized, dirty hands. I'm sorry - I still just don't get it. My opinion - it's a ruse by the companies who produce the stuff to perpetuate a germ-phobic, OCD-laden society. Go to the bathroom sink and simply wash your hands, people.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Go to the bathroom sink and simply wash your hands, people.
    ...and then use the hand sanitizer to kill the E.Coli you just picked up from the bathroom door handle that 900 other people touched without washing their hands before you.

That's exactly what I do when I meet my wife for lunch in a public place before I handle my food.
    Wash then sanitize.
    One doesn't take the place of the other.

Some things to consider...
    Washing with soap does not kill germs or bacteria.
    Using alcohol based hand sanitizer does not promote drug resistant strains of bacteria or germs.
    "Anti-bacterial" soap has been shown to be no more effective at killing germs than ordinary soap.

http://www.learnwell.org/handhygiene.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ne...-antibacterial
    http://scienceblog.com/cms/hand-hygi...ion-10882.html
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Rogue View Post
    ...and then use the hand sanitizer to kill the E.Coli you just picked up from the bathroom door handle that 900 other people touched without washing their hands before you.

That's exactly what I do when I meet my wife for lunch in a public place before I handle my food.
    Wash then sanitize.
    One doesn't take the place of the other.

Some things to consider...
    Washing with soap does not kill germs or bacteria.
    Using alcohol based hand sanitizer does not promote drug resistant strains of bacteria or germs.
    "Anti-bacterial" soap has been shown to be no more effective at killing germs than ordinary soap.
    yup. my point exactly, especially the bolded points.

why do you think soap companies are now promoting 'no touch soap dispensers'...it's because the SOAP DOESN"T WORK!! Seriously.

Now, don't get me wrong, i know a lot of people who don't take the diligence that I do to keep their hands free of germs and they don't get sick. So, maybe i'm a bit nuts, but i know what i'm doing is not only keeping me from getting sick, but keeping others as well. If everyone kept themselves as clean as I do, i wouldn't have to worry.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 08-15-2010 at 12:39 AM.

LR,LE if your hands are washed you don't need to kill non-existant bacteria. Because you've removed the substance by washing your hands. If you didn't remove the bacterial substance then you didn't wash your hands properly.

Sanitizer is used after the cleaning process to insulate the clean surface from any immediate future.

Re- companies and design. It's about selling security by praying on fears.

What does the CDC say?
    The most convincing evidence of the benefits of handwashing for the general public is for prevention of infectious agents found transiently on hands or spread by the fecal-oral route or from the respiratory tract (30). Plain soaps are considered adequate for this purpose.
    ...and
    While antimicrobial drug-containing products are superior to plain soaps for reducing both transient pathogens and colonizing flora, widespread use of these agents has raised concerns about the emergence of bacterial strains resistant to antiseptic ingredients such as triclosan (32,33). Such resistance has been noted in England and Japan (34), and molecular mechanisms for the development of resistance have been proposed (32,35). Although in some settings exposure to antiseptics has occurred for years without the appearance of resistance, a recent study described mutants of Escherichia coli selected for resistance to one disinfectant that were also multiply-antibiotic resistant (35).

Some evidence indicates that long-term use of topical antimicrobial agents may alter skin flora (36,37). The question remains whether antimicrobial soaps provide sufficient benefit in reducing transmission of infection without added risk or cost.

Soaps and detergents have been described as the most damaging of all substances routinely applied to skin (43). Anionic and cationic detergents are more harmful than nonionic detergents (54), and increased concentrations of surfactant result in more rapid, severe damage

Damaged skin more often harbors increased numbers of pathogens. Moreover, washing damaged skin is less effective at reducing numbers of bacteria than washing normal skin, and numbers of organisms shed from damaged skin are often higher than from healthy skin
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm