A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Who is making (or wants to make) a Flash RPG?

Who is making (or wants to make) a Flash RPG?

I'm currently working on a product that makes it easy and fast to create RPG's for Flash. I'm doing this together with Amaranth games (you might know them from the Aveyond RPG series). As the product is still in development, I want to know more about the people who are making Flash RPG's, or those who want to make them. Specifically I want to see what problems you guys or girls are currently facing, and if our product can provide a solution for that.

You would help me out a lot if you send me an email at koen@koonsolo.com, so we can have a little chat. This way I get more insight into the problems or annoyances you currently have, and hopefully provide a solution for that in the near future.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Won't it be better if you tell something about your "RPG Product" first? RPG can mean a wide variety of games. It ranges from something simple like Ahirman's Prophecy, to advanced Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Now I am not saying or expecting your "product" to go as far as Elder Scrolls (even if it could, flash will die before that...), but you should at least say what type of RPG you have in mind for your product.

Anyway, a few common stuff that traditional RPG's need, and you should include are:-
    1) A good way to create maps/levels, and support layers (think final fantasy). I would suggest making your engine have the ability to parse data from "mappy", as it is a widely used tool for RPG map creation.

2) A basic set of AI for NPC's.

3) Basic pathfinding and follow algorithm.

4) A way to specify cutscenes. (Pause,Move NPC there, collect item, resume, .....e.t.c)

5) A flexible way of calculating damage based on skills and items equipped.

6) A quest system and a dialogue system
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

The intention of my post is mainly to listen first to anyone who's creating an RPG, and what problems they are currently encountering (technical, artistic, etc). This way I have a better view if my product is aligned to solve your problems or not. But it seems that you are already on the next stage and are already thinking about the features of such an RPG editor , which is not bad of course. If you want I can tell you more about the product as I view it now, but that view might change a bit according to the responses I get.

I don't want my product to solve a problem that isn't there. So if everyone is completely happy with the current tools of creating RPG games, then there isn't a need for yet another product. But maybe some people say, "hey, it's hard for me to program a complete RPG in AS3", or "I don't have good graphics for my RPG" etc. This allows me to see if there's a need for such a product.

I'm currently writing my first RPG ( I feel like that should unlock a FK.games achievement, as I think everyone whose ever posted here has written that at one time or another. I'm finally in that exclusive club, although I've got to finish mine ).

So far I've discovered the tricky parts are the parts you'd expect to be tricky. The z-sorting ( It's iso ) and the path finding ( It's one thing getting a sprite to point B, it's another to get him there without him looking stupid on route ).

Is your plan to release a collection of classes then mate ?

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    Is your plan to release a collection of classes then mate ?
    My current plan is to write an RPG Editor, kind of like "RPG Maker" if you know that. But you will have full access to the generated game sources. This way you can create your game fast and easy in the editor, and still customize or adapt anything you want in the sources.

All the technical things you described will already be in there, so you will be able to focus on the game itself. I hope this is what lots of people are looking for .

I've already got the map editor working, and it generates a game where the character can walk around in. Now I still have to add all the real game related stuff (dialogues, fighting, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Koonsolo View Post
    My current plan is to write an RPG Editor, kind of like "RPG Maker" if you know that. But you will have full access to the generated game sources. This way you can create your game fast and easy in the editor, and still customize or adapt anything you want in the sources.

All the technical things you described will already be in there, so you will be able to focus on the game itself. I hope this is what lots of people are looking for .

I've already got the map editor working, and it generates a game where the character can walk around in. Now I still have to add all the real game related stuff (dialogues, fighting, etc).
    Are you going let users write their own code, or let them extend your classes in some way? Or will it be only a visual editor?

Quote Originally Posted by skewq View Post
    Are you going let users write their own code, or let them extend your classes in some way? Or will it be only a visual editor?
    My current idea is to let the editor generate an entire FlashDevelop project including all sources. You can then adapt those sources and customize as you want, in FlashDevelop or another Flash development tool. If you then do modifications in my editor again, those modifications will be merged with your adaptions. This way it's possible to do almost anything . I hope my idea is a bit clear?

cool, will be looking forward to it then. Support for different sized tiles/objects, and several layers of tiles woul be great.

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    What kind of fighting system will you be incorporating? RPG's have many different styles.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Recently I've been making a text based RPG (In practice it's more like those choose-your-adventure books than an RPG) and one thing that's really stumped me is the dialogue. Not the individual conversations, but the choices that a player makes in the dialogue and how it affects future conversations.

I'd definitely appreciate some kind of visual system for creating and managing dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by .hooligan View Post
    What kind of fighting system will you be incorporating? RPG's have many different styles.
    My plan was to first release it for action RPG's, because I can finish such an engine faster. And afterwards I would ask my users what they prefer as full blown battle system . By the way, what would you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Orkahm52 View Post
    I'd definitely appreciate some kind of visual system for creating and managing dialogue.
    Yes, you're not the first one to suggest this. So I definitely have to see what I can do for that.

Just released a video on YouTube that shows our tilemap editor (and the generated flash game) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWZtGm89xM