A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Use NetStream or FLVPlayback?

Hybrid View

Use NetStream or FLVPlayback?

Hi,
    I'm currently on a project where to build a site with with several video-clips being played and reached from a menu. The video-files will be in FLV-format.
    I've done some video solutions in flash a few years ago but this time it will be in CS5 (AS3) and I'm not sure which solution that will suite this project best.

The video clips must run smooth and I guess we'll need some cuepoints and buffering to make the transitions from the user inputs smooth. I think they need some MovieClips on top the videopart as well for navigation/information.

Should I use the NetStream-way or use the FLVPlayback-way?
    I got some demo-video-files yesterday and I ran an example using the FLVPlayback-method and it showed up smoothly but is this the way to go?
    Why would you use either NetStream or FLVPlayback?

I hope someone could give med some guiding here, where to start right.
    I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers!
    Leash

FLVPlayback is written using the netStream class as far as I know so its the same

Thanks for you reply!
    Ok, I didn't know that. Are there any advantages coding against the NetStream directly instead of through the FLVPlayBack then? (Since I already got a working solution using the FLVPlayBack). I'm not gonna use any skin or graphics for the FLVPlayBack - just the plain video on the canvas.

Thx!
    Leash

use netStream the componet is for people that are new to Video and don't require flexibility in my opinion using NetStream is the only way to write good video code as you have all the video methods available to you.
    ~calmchess~

By using netstream you can end up with the much smaller code size, and you can have much better control over the video.

OK - thanks a lot! I'll stick to netstream then!
    Leash