A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a message to book-burners...

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    I assume I get to write the forward...
    Without a doubt.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by david petley View Post
    oh dear, you asked me about artists desecrating the bible as some sort of artistic statement and now you want me to respond to the pastor pissing on the Qu'ran?
    So, you don't agree with the article that you posted?

That the intentions of the desecrator are not as important as the obvious result?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    The world pays too much attention to the fanatics that scream the loudest and plot the hardest to shock their way into a headline.

That Florida pastor has a congregation of about 50 people in a country of almost 350 million yet he has the mindshare of damn near the world.
    I agree. What the guy was doing is wrong. But, it was made into a bigger deal than it needed to be. Especially in proportion to much more egregious intolerance taking place around the world, like people being imprisoned or killed for their religious beliefs.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Does that mean that you might think more peaceful non-extremist christians should be down in Florida policing their own religion and making sure that this inciteful act of burning another religion's holy book does not occur?

And making sure the anti-abortionists do not break the law by killing doctors?

...and walking out on preachers who use their pulpit for political purposes?

...just wondering.

david
    You betcha. I realize saying, "not until you're perfect" is like denying police salary increases until the crime rate is 0 but I would like to see consorted efforts from all good juju'ers to stop bad juju'ing from happening.
    Sure no one is going to reach a single nut job etching crosses into the bullets for his (where are the female nutters btw?) warriors for christ guns but large prominent groups should evoke some sort of widespread education and disapproval.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    You betcha. I realize saying, "not until you're perfect" is like denying police salary increases until the crime rate is 0 but I would like to see consorted efforts from all good juju'ers to stop bad juju'ing from happening.
    Sure no one is going to reach a single nut job etching crosses into the bullets for his (where are the female nutters btw?) warriors for christ guns but large prominent groups should evoke some sort of widespread education and disapproval.
    strapped to bombs in the middle east, and babysitting her bastard grand child in alaska.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

This guy didn't just burn them he smoked them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...h-is-best.html
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    yes, just a dick cashing in on someone else's notorious event. We will probably see a spate of holy book rollups, paper aeroplane making competitions, and other various alternative uses for holy books in the coming months.

But I don't care about desecration, so let 'em go for it.

One thing I did notice about the riotous response in Pakistan (to the pastor conflagrator), where they burned USA flags, is that they did not appear to consider burning bibles (maybe it is a mortal sin for them to do so, I don't know).
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

you jerks, wake up to yourselves.

Nothing good is ever achieved by burning books, but if you are looking to be well hated, and want a bit of notoriety, go ahead. Ideas and ideologies cannot be destroyed by fire.

As I said before ....jerks.

davidp
    Not to mention it's a sheer waist of paper. Download a kindle version and angrily delete it.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Download a kindle version and angrily delete it.
    somehow a youtube video of someone deleting a file from their computer does not have the same sort of impact as a public book-burning ...and it wouldn't keep you warm on a cool evening.

...hmm, I reckon most book burnings would occur at night just for the theatre of it. Like fireworks.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

How about loading a kindle with every religious book known and burn that?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

You see this is why book burning is stupid. Someone somewhere while always be able to run off another copy so the only you're helping is maybe the landfill. I'd be way more upset at a macbook burning. Oh wait, mine burns every time I turn it on.