A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get your lego on

Get your lego on

Any one still play with lego? Working for lego would be my dream job.

Latest thing is the Hero Factory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzpNAEgsIdY

Has anyone worked for them?

No, but I'd work for Eggo.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    I honestly think that LEGO needs to go back to their origina message, nowadays it's becoming an Action toy figure, with their last multitude of franchise inspired sets, Like Starwars, Harry Potter, Prince of Persia !!?? ...etc

It used to be about your imagination and creativity, now it's a slightly less of an out of the box, but it's basically the same, I think for children, there's either the He-Man castle and toys franchise, or the Lego for the creative ones -with regard to the generation gap of course-

I wouldn't buy any of the new LEGO, sets for my kids -not that I know of any yet-, if I do, I'll go classic, like what we used to have, a couple of templates on the box cover then it's all about your brain and what it can produce.

[/relaxed rant]

I don't know ... I have a 5yo that loves legos, and they have some sets I wish I could have had when I was young. Lego City is good, and they have new Lego Creator sets that give you a number of models to build from one set. I build it with him, he plays with them for a few days, then typically tears them down and builds other stuff. If you're creative, you're creative. If not you'll probably opt for action figures.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    That's true click-o-vision, but the problem with the new sets -those bloody aliens can't be bothered to search their name- they have limited parts that will only fit with one another, same with the new franchises from movies, they are limiting the kids' imagination, unless you'll buy them more than one set from different franchises in order for their creativity to push forward, but then again it became more of a ownership issue and how many sets do I own instead of focusing on the real target...My Rant is lacking momentum, it's more of a frustration resulting from seeing a childhood idol falling a part under the marketing wheels

Yeah ... not a huge fan of the themed sets, so I typically stick to buying him those based on more generic concepts so everything is interchangeable. He likes those more anyway.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    We've got a couple of big boxes of lego that our 3 boys loved playing with and now our grandchildren get as much fun out of it. And I enjoy 'helping' them build with it.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

some of my fondest memories from childhood was getting one of those dinky $3 lego sets and putting it together on the car ride home.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I remember we always got one of those compilation sets each christmas. Every year we'd make a pact to keep it separate from the other lego's so that whenever we chose something from the build chart we wouldn't have to spend 90% of the time sifting through a mound of bits looking for that stupid translucent headlight. Without fail it'd be mixed in with the rest of them in less than a month.

I eventually got so tired of sorting and searching that I just make crude set pieces for my other toys to destroy. I found that if you assemble the pieces very loosely they shatter much more pleasingly. Once I put extra rubber-bands on a crossbow from Crossbows and Catapults and showered our kitchen in little yellow bits. Ahhh toys.

I got a few minifigs on my desk: two stormtroopers, 4 spacemen, and 2 with guns and gas masks.
    The castle sets (a little castle, boat, and like 10 minifigs) guard one of the libraries, and a little car and motorcycle in my room
    I'm slowly starting to notice I'm probably THAT weird guy everyone talks about
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

I've always loved Lego, probably always will.
    I used their digital designer program some too, its pretty fun.
    I built this guy out of the set i got for christmas:

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Growing up, the bottom drawer of the dresser was the "Lego drawer".
    By the time I left home the bottom two drawers had been taken over by legos.

I can still remember waking in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and always finding the one little sharp piece that never made it back into the drawer. %$#@&!
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Awesome, Random! Johnny 5 is alive!

I had a few of the sets as a kid but they always seemed to lack interchangeable pieces and you could only make a few variations with them so I always just mixed them in with the huge 5 gallon buckets of generic pieces we had. Man I miss legos. They're SO expensive now. A little set with like 10 pieces in $10.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

You can re-up pretty quickly on some classic blocks.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=leg....c0.m270.l1311

Damn stop tempting me. I need photo equipment not legos right now!

FK group buy?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-100-000-NEW-...item2a0a28a3fa
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 09-14-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

My son loves legos. Just picked up the General Grievous spaceship yesterday.

It would be fun to work for Lego, engineering ships and scenes from movies. I've wondered what type of process they have for building the instructions. They're so standardized that it seems like they must have custom software that generates them.

They are expensive now. Once a set comes apart, my son just makes new ships, etc. out of them. I suppose ebay would be worth it. But, he loves star wars. So, it's fun to see him get excited over the new branded sets...
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

The lego digital designer software lets you create instructions, you can also have what you build in the program shipped to you in a box that you can customize. The johnny 5 kit i built would be about $50.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I still have all of my old Legos and pull them out every once in a while. They never get old.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

http://www.bricklink.com/browse.asp
    that's another good place to buy lego
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.