A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: importing simple forms in swift

i'm trying to draw and import a simple rectangular object into swift 3D (since swift 3D doesn't let me do that). i tryed drawing it in flash 5 and 4 and save it as a normal .swf or illustrator file but it didn't work.

any idea how to do it will be appriciated

thanks

you must go to export image in flash and save as an eps or ai file. then swift will understand and extrude the object to make it 3d. the only files that swift can import are AI, EPS, and 3DS. good luck to you!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    You can do a character map right in swift using windings or webdings font. any way the tut is in the manual that came with the software. It saves alot of time from having to make the eps file in flash or what ever and then import it. Just do it right in Swift. Regards, Bill

thanks for the replies

i tried thies options before posting my question here - including the webdings, the .ai files etc.
    except the .eps ones. this option worked, but not entierly:
    the file i'm saving in flash is an empty square - only outlines not filled square. and when i open it in swift 3D i get a filled shape - i don't want that.
    when i do the .ai file i get an error messege: the file doesn't contain outline or filled shapes?! and it obviously does...

thanks again and if you have any other ideas please post them here...

upon importing the eps file into swift, you should be comfronted with a box asking what type you would like to import. outline, fill, or both. choose the outline only. if you do not get the box asking, go back to flash and make sure everyhting is ungrouped. it should work. if you need more help, just holler!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by OpieNC
    upon importing the eps file into swift, you should be comfronted with a box asking what type you would like to import. outline, fill, or both. choose the outline only. if you do not get the box asking, go back to flash and make sure everyhting is ungrouped. it should work. if you need more help, just holler!
    how can I decal(wrap) an image into an sphere in swift3D, is it possible???

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    No, unless you bring the eps file in from flash, that being that the seperate parts that make up the image are seprate vector areas. Other words you will have to hand tweenthem to match up to the 3d piece once its out of swuft and into Flash. For an example of what I am talking about check out http://www.wackedusa.com and you will see an Eagles logo. That was done as seperate vectors and animated in Swift. Regards, Bill

thanks again for the reply

i don't get any window with that options (outlines or filed shapes...) when i'm importing the .eps file into Swift 3D.
    it just brings it in filled up. and everything is ungrouped - there is only one shape and that's all. there is nothing else in the .eps file.

i'm on a mac - does that make a difference?!
    i think it shouldn't...

thanks

Originally posted by Pope de Flash
    No, unless you bring the eps file in from flash, that being that the seperate parts that make up the image are seprate vector areas. Other words you will have to hand tweenthem to match up to the 3d piece once its out of swuft and into Flash. For an example of what I am talking about check out http://www.wackedusa.com and you will see an Eagles logo. That was done as seperate vectors and animated in Swift. Regards, Bill
    you mean from swift3D save and import it from flash and make some adjustment?

Originally posted by Pope de Flash

what if my object is sphere, do I have to manually wrap my picture into the 3D object in Flash? Is there other ways to do it...?

you can make the model in swift and then export as an swf. once it is in swf format, you can import into flash and edit each created keyframe. this can be grueling at some times, but the results speak for themselves. as for the eagle, you do not have to tween the image onto it in flash. you can use swift to put it on there. just make the basic shape for the logo, in that case the gray colored section. then you would want to make the green part of the logo, and set its depth to 0 as well as no bevel. line it up with the face of the existing logo and then make the next part being the white. once again set its depth characteristics to 0 and layer it. after you have things positioned, select and group all. this will give you mapping looks within swift without hand tweening in flash. the only trouble is it only works on flat surfaces, so if you want it on a cube, you must do it in flash. SORRY!

GL!

can we get back to the original topic here please...

mutant, please create your own topic..

back to:

thanks again for the reply i don't get any window with that options (outlines or filed shapes...) when i'm importing the .eps file into Swift 3D. it just brings it in filled up. and everything is ungrouped - there is only one shape and that's all. there is nothing else in the .eps file.

i'm on a mac - does that make any difference?!
    i think it shouldn't...

thanks

Thank, these clear everything.

beck, i had a little trouble with this before, and it was my model eps that was the problem. in flash, i gave the model a gradient and this somehow confused swift. maybe you should make sure that you have flat area fills and maybe even try getting rid of some of the outlines in the eps then saving just the filled area that you created or the other way around. if you hve continued trouble, send erain an email at support@erain.com

Beckenbauer,

If you're trying to get a hollow square into Swift 3D from Flash, drawing outlines only is not going to work. What OpieNC was talking about is a message that comes up when you have created an object with outlines and fills. If you select both, you will end up with two objects in Swift 3D rather than one.

It does not matter if you draw the square as a filled square or a outlined square...it will always come in as a solid filled square.

To make a hollow square, do the following:
    1)Draw your square in flash
    2)Draw another square on top of it that is just a little bit smaller and is evenly centered
    3) Now grab your arrow tool and click on the inside square and delete it.
    This should leave you with the hollow square you're looking for. Save it as an eps file and you're good to go.

Pope's right though. You can likely find this object in your character map and do it right in the program.

Good Luck

Even tho, we've switched back to the original topic - in case you're wondering, the Eagles Logo was done in Adobe Dimensions 3.0 - that's it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting

Vince

vince, the topic has been dead for a while, so i think I can stray a little. the model may very well have been done in dimensions, but you can do it in swift. i once made a panthers symbol (carolina panthers) in the same manner as the eagle. I was in a hurry so it was not the best, but it was the same effect. I will eventually write a tute for mapping in swift. it save alot of afterwork in flash.

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done in Swift... I just made mine in Dimensions... took all of, about 30 minutes.