dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS5] Custom Components, Live Preview, etc

[CS5] Custom Components, Live Preview, etc

I apologize, I haven't found a thread on this but can't believe there wouldn't be one so I must be using the wrong search terms.

I want to develop custom components (that show up in the Components panel) which a Flash designer can drag onto the stage and use the Component Inspector to customize it to their liking (inspectable parameters, I believe they are called). I'd also ideally like to implement a Live Preview so they can see their adjustments live on the design stage.

Does anyone know a good resource for learning the correct way to do this? I've found one that used to work in CS3 but now that I am on CS5 it isn't happening for me: http://redbjarne.wordpress.com/actio...nts-from-hell/

There's also the "official" Adobe blog post, I think the previously mentioned article gives it an appropriate shout-out for being "long and cumbersome".

It seems that this should be a pretty popular technique so I am hoping someone can show me the light on what I've been missing Thanks in advance.

If you search the net, you'll find plenty of blog posts about creating components... but honestly Adobe is your best first bet, it's not something you can throw together in 20 minutes, so I'm sure they have plenty to read.

As far as 'live preview' goes "ctrl+enter" is pretty standard.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, at least on the Live Preview part. When developing a component, you can expose inspectable parameters. Compiling a Live Preview for the component allows the end-user to see those parameters take effect in real time. Anyway, as for searching the net, BELIEVE ME, I have. The only reference to creating components I could find by Adobe is the one I listed, which was done in CS3. For some reason components seem to be the neglected step-child of Flash..

One bump for great justice

One last bump after the weekend