A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS3 and SQL. How can I make it work?

AS3 and SQL. How can I make it work?

Hi all,
    I come across a job where I have to create a web application in Flash and AS3, and that application has to read/write from/on an SQL database. In order to do that I will have to:

1) Connect
    2) Read data
    3) Display data
    4) Write data

Is any of you aware of a good step by step tutorial, or if you have a solid solution for any of this 4 point below, please post!
    Thanks in advance.

ok, I've looked around a bit more and I found out that probably the best way is to use XML to read data.

But here it comes the tricky bit:
    The application I have to build, will feed on a big database containing a big number of fields and data (and also there will be a big number of users), and my application will get the user to pass trough a few filters (dropdown menues, map, checkboxes...) before displaying the data.

These filters will have to be dynamic (ajax style), so every time the user will choose an option on the filter, the next filter will change according to the database.
    This implies a constant communication with the server. XML Is not going to be my best weapon (also because due to the huge number of users and queries, a constant query to the database will slow down al lot the server and the application).

I've heard about XMLsockets. Is it the right way? Or it is better to just talk to ASP and return an XML every single time?

Direct connection with the database would be the best for sending queries, but I know it is not possible or implies using software like Swf Studio which I cannot use.

I'm a bit stuck in the planning.
    It's also a few years I'm off AS....

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by PeraZ View Post
    XML Is not going to be my best weapon (also because due to the huge number of users and queries, a constant query to the database will slow down al lot the server and the application).
    I mean that XML would be the best choice to speed up things in reading, but the worst choice in writing. Am I right?

Also I'd like to add that I cannot export all the database in an xml file. It's too big. (otherwise shouldn't be that hard! )

I may have found what I was looking for using WSDL connection. THis guy here has put a nice effort in it.
    (and I'm lucky enough to have a server-side programmer that can write the other part of the application)
    http://labs.alducente.com/gophr/
    Anyone have experience on this?

Ok, that thing is working. At least is connecting and retrieving data. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

I also read there is a way to use the Flex RPC classes directly into flash.
    That is not my field at all.
    Anyone knows anything?