A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: encode/protect your flash animation?

encode/protect your flash animation?

When i create something in flash and use publish command i can simply open new project and import that .swf to library and it opens it up like if i imported my .fla project all is there in the open.

Is there way to encode my flash videos somehow at least against this basic method of opening. I know there are programs that can decompile any flash, but i at least want to protect against newbies who can simply import my work and steal it.

Are you talking about protecting .swf or Flash videos (.flv)? The solutions will vary depending on which.
    Video Man

I speaking about SWF, why would i protect FLA i never publish it online.

You wrote:
    Is there way to encode my flash videos
    my question was
    Are you talking about protecting .swf or Flash videos (.flv)?
    Who said anything about .fla files?
    As for protection, there are a few steps you can take but there are ways around almost everthing.
    First start with "Protect from Import"
    Before you publish the .swf go to Publish Settings, Flash tab, check the "protect from import" box. Save the settings.
    This does not protect the entire .swf, just parts of it... test on your own .swf to see.
    Second, use external resources to build the .swf, so it's harder to put it back together. Use an .xml file to bring images and sounds to the stage. Use loadMovie or Movieclip to load external assets instead of having that asset in the Library.
    Third, if you want to hide the .swf url, it's possible to use PHP or some other server side language to request the .swf, rather than have the url visible in the Web page code. The .swf is still downloaded into the cache, but it's one more step that could be taken.
    Video Man

Thanks, what i meant is actually encode SWF with some encryption against opening it and decompiling.

Can you give more info on PHP way you described, or some example.

You should still consider protecting the Flash assets (keep EVERYTHING external) as described above.
    For one example of using PHP to protect the file:
    http://ryanfait.com/resources/protec...from-download/
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

I just started with flash i know you can create external swf files and load them with script also you can put scripts in other file thats about it?

I have no clue how to make everything external without too much pain importing SWF's with actionscript and then choosing positions etc is alot of work.

Maybe i dont know something is there tutorial about breaking your flash movie to peaces as you create it for protection?

First off, let me assure you, rarely will anyone really want to steal your Flash…but if you want to take steps to prevent that… go for it!!! But nobody said that would be easy or quick…
    I’ll outline just a few steps you can take, then it’s up to you to learn how to implement them in your application.
    First, do the "protect from import" step outlined above.
    Second, learn how to use loadMovie to load in external .swfs or images into your main .swf.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/a...ionary423.html
    You position an empty container movie clip on the stage and when you need content in it, load a .swf from an external source into that container… something like:
    Code:
    holder_mc.loadMovie("ss11/ss11.swf");
    that .swf could also load content from an external source, and on and on…
    Now someone stealing the main .swf will not have the content that goes in it.
    Third, learn to populate the content of your EXTERNAL .swf as much as possible using .xml. It won’t work for everything but if it’s that important to you, be creative… but learn the basics here:
    http://www.gotoandlearn.com/index.php?currentpage=10
    Fourth, take the PHP approach suggested earlier.
    But, no matter what you do, anyone really wanting to get your Flash, will..
    Best of luck to ya!
    Video Man

Thanks for all your explanation i will try to do it. Maybe i create some templates so i dont have to do it every time.