A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mouse events permitted only for button instances

Mouse events permitted only for button instances

I'm not sure why it says that when I export the movie. I read that it may be because the actionscripts in the keyframe and not in the move, though that isnt the case here. Below is the code for my button. Thank you for any suggestions.

on (release) {
    getURL("JavaScript:liveChat();");
    }

I'm a little confused about where this code is? is it in the action frame for the button or for the frame? I do not think it'll work at all if it's in the frame

You're right, my post was confusing. This code is not in the keyframe, it is in the button itself, yet I am still getting an error and not sure why.

on (release) {
    getURL("JavaScript:liveChat();");
    }

well, just to be sure, I would go to the library and make sure that one your symbol is actually a button.

Remember that if you make any edits to the symbol in the library, it won't necessarily apply to the symbol in the keyframe, so you may have to delete the symbol in the keyframe and replace it with the symbol from the library (hopefully that makes sense).

and i'm not positive on this one, but it seems to me that buttons don't seem to work well when you have script in the action of an instance and have it exported for actionscript, so you may have to change that as well.

and finally if you're still having the problem, try changing it to an on(press) code. Personal experience has lead me to like this more than on(release). Though theoretically this shouldn't matter.

Thank you! I will try all of these...

headlessgargoyl, I just emailed you..let me know if it didn't go through.