A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with shared object

Question Help with shared object

I'm working on a site that has a flash navigation. The navigation is on a ribbon shape, so the ribbon scrolls out, then all the links fade in. I plan on doing this animation on the homepage only. I realize that I can just use a normal image and text navigation for the rest of the pages, but I want to make it so if you go back to the homepage, you don't see the animation again. Is there a way to write a shared object so that if the visitor is going back to the homepage within the same session, the flash animation opens on the last frame, instead of the first frame?

I want the site set up so that if you were to close the window, and open it again, you would see the animation, so I want it to be relevant to that session, not a cookie set to expire in any number of days.

I realize that I could just set up a second home page that doesn't have the animation, but I'd rather further my flash knowledge and avoid having excess pages on the site.

I have absolutely no experience with writing shared objects, and very little with php or javascript or anything else I could think of that would make this work. I've tried reading the information I can find out writing shared resources and I don't understand it. So I'm looking for complete code, if possible. Thanks.

maybe in AS3 there is some new stuff..

but from what "I" know..

I think the problem here would be to when/how to clear the SharedObject when you leave...

I mean by user event...thats easy.. but if they just close the browser.. then what?

how do you update the 'shared object' (cookie) then?