A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 8 website..HELP??!!???

Flash 8 website..HELP??!!???

Hi guys,
    Can anyone take a look at this file I have.Its a website I am working on for myself.Its my first one in flash so I am little bit all over the shop. There is still some work to do but if I get this sorted I'll be very happy.Basically when I test the movie or upload to the server the whole site gets a mind of its own and plays what it likes and when. It seems okay for a little while then goes berserk. I thought it might be a glitch in the software so I uploaded it to the server and its sill the same. I have checked everything I can possibly think of ie are buttons named, layers, stop actions, AS, etc but I cant fighure it out. I can send you the fla if it helps as Im out of ideas Your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks
    Zodiacc
    file: C:\Red Arrow\Flash\Flash\Red Arrow Website\current\indexx.swf

The file you are showing is a path on your own machine, which will not do us any good. Post a link to the site and we'll take a look.
    Video Man

Yeah sorry about that i meant to delete that. I will have to send you the .fla as I only have a temporary page up on the website at the minute. Can you send me a PM with an email address where I can send the file?
    Thanks for your help
    zodiacc

Sorry but I just don't have the time to spend on it myself right now. Besides, sometimes it's behavior may change once uploaded to server. So if at all possible, upload a web page with the .swf on it... it could be index_2.html or something so it would not be available to the general public. Then we can get multiple eyes on it.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Video Man I have uploaded trial1.swf for you to have a look at. As you will see I havent completed the site as the glitch is too much of a pain to get anything else done. I can upload a snapshot of the timeline if its any good to you. if you can think of anything else please let me know
    Thanks for helping me out.
    zodiacc
    Last edited by zodiacc; 11-11-2010 at 12:24 PM.

OK, well I see that things really jump around alot. Hovering over the big buttons on the left, it's like there's a great big timeline and no stop(); actions at the end of each section, it just goes from one thing to another.
    Since there are so many things (animations, etc) going on, break it down into smaller sections and get that working correctly before putting the entire project together.
    For example, you might try working with just the "Home" button and it's related links.. create a new document and just copy/paste the frames related to the Home. Do that with each of the trouble sections... then only after getting that working correctly do you combine them in the final document.
    Pay special attention to using stop(); where needed as well as any actions that jump to another part of the timeline... something is causing that jumping to go on uncontrolled.
    Any onRelease actions (or onRollOver) should be well defined. The action happens.... then it stops. Work to SIMPLIFY the design, not make it more complex. A rollover should accomplish one simple thing, not start in motion 4 different things. If the goal of the site is to advertise design work, then the design of the site itself should be very clear and concise.
    For example, the names of the buttons should be showing all the time, we should not have to roll over them to find out what they are. Eliminate as many other "Flashy" features as possible. As a Flash developer myself, I know that it's fun and exciting to try work in as much action and features as possible. But in reality, that most often clouds the real purpose and message of the site.
    So to just wrap this up...
    check for stop(): actions
    limit rollover and onRelease actions to just one thing, not a string of things
    work to simplify the design
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

I agree 100% with what you are saying but the problem had occured on a simpler version of the site I did so I redesigned it from scratch (adding a few changes along the way) and watching my p's and q's.I will try everything you said and see how I go. The stops are definitely a problem alright but even without the rollover and just a button the prob is still there.Im thinking aswell the preloader could be an issue. Maybe deleting a few layers and clean it up a bit.I'll break it down as best I can to simplify but, isnt the whole point of using flash to use the animation and AS? is it a case that flash itself cant handle too much. (if its done properly I suppose lol ) anyway hopefully i'll get it resolved and come back with the solution for others in the same boat in the future. Video Man you're a gentleman and Thank You for taking the time to help me out it was very much appreciated
    zodiacc