A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: VOIP Users - Are you happy?

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar

VOIP Users - Are you happy?

It looks like we're outgrowing our home office so we're checking out some good deals on corporate office space.
    I'm thinking about saving some money by going voip instead of business class landlines.

How many of you use voip and are you happy with it?
    Any company that I should definitely avoid?
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

i use avaya.

so far so good. occassionally we get some distortion but thats more then likely because our voice and data are on the same line and we dont have the broadband to push both through 100%
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I've used a few of them. As Silver said...for the most part, no issues and the price point far outweighs any problems you might have. Anytime I've had static or anything, it's usually resolved very quickly.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Sometimes I have to ask why. For inhouse communications a simple chat client is more effective, You have an instant transcript of the conversation if someone has forgotten something and it's easier to handle conference communications.

We just put our cell phones on the company card, pay for a conference call service and dial in with skype. We used to pay for a skype account but we just didn't use it.

Cisco VoIP internally here... solid. At home, Vonage, Ooma and MagicJack as well as Skype - I'm still undecided there.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    At home, Vonage, Ooma and MagicJack as well as Skype - I'm still undecided there.
    Undecided, so you pay for all 4? You are an interesting study into the mind of the American consumer.

*agreed on the Cisco VoIP - rock solid. We use their video conferencing too.*

So far, I had been using Skype for years now. Quite comfortable with them.
    Probably the best web hosting Company in Singapore
    Make A Name On The Web™

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Undecided, so you pay for all 4? You are an interesting study into the mind of the American consumer.
    Quite the leap there, bucko. Let's try to resolve your assumption with some facts.

Vonage, I pay for. It's replaced my mother's landline at her house; I save money by doing so - I was part of the initial group that signed up for Vonage back in 2001 or so.

Ooma, MagicJack... I've received free via my blog for review purposes; thus free. Skype, it's free to download, free between other Skype users; I don't use the SkypeOut functionality, so I don't "pay" for anything there.

pssst... I have a bridge I'll sell you too.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Quite the leap there, bucko.
    Ooma, MagicJack... I've received free via my blog for review purposes; thus free.
    No possible way I could've known about this, bucko. Not to mention that if you're going to assume I am a religious follower of your ramblings, then you should at least fix the 'facts.'
    Quote Originally Posted by your blog - referring to Ooma
    Premier Subscriptions cost $9.99 a month, or $119.99 a year – up from $99.99 when I first purchased my Ooma Hub and Scout – and offers quite a few good perks: Instant Second Line™, Three-way Conferencing, Multi-Ring (the ability to ring more than one phone, like your cellphone for instance) and a rollover, Back-up Number when the internet isn’t being friendly.
    Purchased != free in my book. I could care less, but I guess my leap wasn't really all that big now...was it?
    Last edited by hanratty21; 11-09-2010 at 09:27 AM.

gerbick doesn't use specific software or hardware, he uses technology landscapes.

plus magic jack is only what $14.95 a year
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Callcentric, they are a BYOD (bring your own device) provider that uses SIP 2.0. Call quality is good (depending on your connection). Calls between accounts are free, so are calls to open SIP networks. You can configure a IP PBX (such as 3cx) for a more sophisticated solution for call hunting, DID based routing etc. Since they are a BYOD provider you can use it on your smartphone, from your PC or from a hardware solution (ATA, such as the PAP2, Handytone, Cisco IP phones, Snom etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Purchased != free in my book. I could care less, but I guess my leap wasn't really all that big now...was it?
    So you're the new FL, eh? Congrats.

Can't exactly go around saying "they gave" - they tend to frown upon that, it looks like a paid endorsement. Got it? Good.

Now, for your next trick, how about shutting up and asking more questions instead of being your typical jackass self and assuming way too much.

Gerbick - not sure which side of the bed you woke up on this morning, but it really doesn't matter...as it seems though your tampon is hanging out. Assumptions are just that when there is no basis in fact. In this case, the fact is that you are a tech junkie. You have 19 (sic) cell phones which you are proud to claim to have banned people from each one. You have 4 different VoIP solutions in your house...you have god knows how many places/devices on which to game on. Shall I continue? My assumptions were truly based in fact. Again...you are still a great study on the american consumer. Period. If you still don't like that comment, well...suck it, d-bag.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 11-09-2010 at 09:57 PM.