A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is this interactive website possible ?

Is this interactive website possible ?

I am thinking of having an interactive website. Based on my investigation, it seems flash can probably provide what I need, but I am not sure. Therefore, I am posting here to ask for your experts’ help.

The website with flash will need to show 3D objects, cubes, spheres, etc. The parameter of the objects, like the color, length, width, and thickness of the cube and the diameter of the sphere, are either stored in the database or by user input. Of course, the origin of the object will be given by either input or retrieved from database.

When the 3D object plots are done, I will need to have different views of the plot, top view, side view, etc. Also, when mouse are over the object, I want to see some description of the object which are from previous user input or database.

Is this doable? Can anybody show me some examples you have seen before. Thanks.

flyingcow1999

Almost always when you are talking about "Interactive" websites like in your example, you are talking about using server side scripting to make it interactive. Flash is not that type of an application. It's possible to get Flash to communicate with a PHP to accomplish something like what you want, but Flash would actually be just a small part of the solution.
    You'll need to use PHP and MySQL to provide the "interaction".
    Here is a starter tut:
    http://www.gotoandlearn.com/index.php?currentpage=11
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Thank you, Video Man. By the way, do you think/know if plot parametric 3D objects of basic geometries possible using flash or some other web design technique? I know JavaApplet can do it nicely, but seems it is an out-of-date technique. Thanks.

Sorry, can't help you with that..
    Best wishes,
    Video Man