A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .avi to .flv best conversion tools

.avi to .flv best conversion tools

I have a very serious doubt. I have a .avi file that i need to convert to .flv format. what are my best options?

My main priorities are:

1. lesser file size
    2. conversion to .flv format
    3. and the main requirement is that the clarity must be as the .avi video file.

Please advice as to how i can go about the conversion and what is the best conversion tool i could use.

I am in urgent need of a solution. Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to flashkit.

I've moved your thread to our Online Video forum and I'm leaving the redirect here.

There are several vid>flv convertors in the market. The company I work for sells one as well as several other companies. If the avi isn't up to snuff don't expect miracles from a convertor.

first off, thanks Frets for moving it to the right thread, i didn't know such a thread existed.

Yes, my .avi is of a nice quality. I am using FlixPro (as i believe it is industrial standard, correct me if i am wrong). Could you please suggest some other softwares so i can check qulaity and move to buying?

thanks in advance.

Well do you have the Flash program?
    At least with Flash 8, there is a video encoder included with the program. It does a great job of converting .avi to .flv.
    Regardless of the conversion program you use, a major concern when doing conversion is that you use a bitrate which is high enough to maintain quality yet not so large that the video does not download without excessive buffering time. The optimal bitrate will depend directly on the target display dimensions. If this video is intented for delivery over the Internet... then remember, it's NOT TV! You cannot deliver a full screen, high def video using a 250kbps bitrate.
    A good starting point is to use a display of approx 500px wide (and height to match the aspect ratio) and a bitrate of less than 1000kbps. Anything over that, and some Internet connections will have trouble downloading it. Using a bitrate of under 400kbps will produce lower quality video unless you shrink the screen size way down.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

thanks Video Man, that was quite informative

In such cases I'm using Video to Flash Encoder. So you can try it too.

There are a lot of video to FLV converter available on the market, and a lot of them are free. You can search google with 'video to flv'.

Recommend you to use a totally free video converter. No watermark and expiration.
    Create standalone SWF slideshow with Premium flash templates!

DIY slideshow template using flash template editor

Learn more about how to make your own template and DIY fathers day ecard