A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting from fla to html

Unhappy Getting from fla to html

In a nutshell:

I created a portfolio website for a friend in MX, (bartering the website on my end). This friend, self-avowed "computer-illiterate" wants me to teach her how to use Flash/create a tutorial so she can update it despite not being adept with this in any way. In short, I'd rather have my eyes clawed out then have to create a tutorial and teach this stuff, remotely, 3 states away. I can't emphasize this enough...

So, what I'd like to do is convert what I have into html which is far more accessible should she wish to dabble in updating stuff herself.

The layout is pretty simple:
    -Image gallery w/ thumbnails
    -scrolling CV
    -contact
    -links

Suggestions on how to proceed/path of least resistance for me?
    I really need to tackle this ASAP!

Many thanks in advance!

Well you could convert everything over to HTML but you might want to keep the image gallery in Flash and use an .xml file to do the edits/updates. Very simple on her end to add/change the images and captions (if you have them) in a simple .xml text file. Lots of tutorials out there on how to build the xml photo gallery if you need a refresher course.
    Not sure what the scrolling CV is...
    but any other HTML pages you could create them and include a few comments in the areas that she needs to edit.
    Code:
    <!-- This is a comment, edit here, etc... -->
    Then she could copy and paste the <a> from one link and just edit it to add a new link.
    To edit the HTML, I'd suggest you download a version of the NotePad++ for her:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    You might also want to create a small library of HTML tags for her. Things like the <p>, <ul>, <li>, <br />, etc. The tag plus a small definition and how to use instruction. 10 or 12 tags is really about all she would need to know if you already have the pages built. She could open that library file, search for the tag she need, copy and paste into the page as she goes along.
    If these steps don't completely cover it, you could do a few video tutorials using screen capture software like Windows Media Encoder:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...screencap.aspx
    Free and easy to use.
    Another option is to move her to a Content Management System like WordPress, etc..... but you'll still have to go thru all the steps above to teach them WordPress..
    Teaching clients how to edit Web pages... done it lots of times... it can be very rewarding to watch them progress and learn!
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Thanks for the detailed reply, VideoMan!

The "scrolling CV" is a vertically scrolling text-box. With little sleep, I was a little less than clear there.

My friend does not have Flash, (and still didn't know what it was when I mentioned it by name as recently as last week). The images will not change as much as images are added to the portfolio. Again, she is green as can be where computers, (let alone creating content) are concerned. Moreover, as I don't do this for a living, there is no real upside for me to create tutorials--
    I just don't have the time for it. I'd just like to hand her something that is easily plug-and-chug as possible. The only things that will require updating are new thumbnails/images and her CV. I've had the FLA completed for a year now, waiting on her to pick a web-host, (again, something else I had to walk her through and explain what a host is, etc., etc., ad nauseum). So, before she gets down to picking a host, I'd like to have a html version of her website ready to go.

Would it be possible to do this in Dreamweaver, (I have DWmx) and pull a 100% html file from that to give to her? (I haven't used DW in over 10 years, so I can't quite recall much of its functionality)
    Last edited by fantome; 11-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Sure, it could be done 100% in HTML. Just make up the page yourself and with a lesson or two on how to update, she should be able to handle it. Include comments in the HTML code as I mentioned above to give her hints on how/where to update.
    Of course, she'll need access to some sort of FTP program and a little instruction on how to upload the new file and overwrite the old.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man