A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mp4 Settings

Mp4 Settings

I've been trying to use .mp4 files instead of .flv files so that it will play in Flash and on silly mobile devices that do not support Flash. I used to import my original AVI into Flash and make it an flv, but now I'm using Quicktime Pro to make it an mp4. The problem is that if I even get a quality that is comparable to my flv, the mp4 of the same video is A LOT bigger in file size (and the mp4 is still not quite as clear as the flv). Has anyone found some good settings for exporting an mp4 with good quality and not having a file size way bigger than an flv?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The original videos are 720x480 (0.91 NTSC DV) at 29.97fps 48hz audio
    I am exporting the flv to 420x280 at 400bps 80k audio mono
    the mp4 is 420x280 h264 25fps 80k audio mono

Thanks for any help with this
    Last edited by Extol; 10-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.

I'm guessing this is the norm? h264 is not as good as flv?

I don't see a video bitrate listed for the mp4...
    the H.264 should be as good or better, but it will depend on the bitrate used.
    Video Man

Hello, Video Man. I did 512 at first but the file was nearly 1.5 times the size of my flv, so I lowered it to 256. But it lost a lot of quality and still was a little bigger than the flv file

Well in theory, if you are using h.264 as the mp4 codec and On2 VP6 as the codec for the Flash .flv, at the exact same dimensions, the mp4 should be a little smaller file. Are you sure the dimensions (W, H) where the same in both cases?
    That being said, the 512kbps is 28% higher bitrate than 400kbps...
    Still, in this day and age, 512 + 80 audio is less than 600kbps and should be handled just fine by most highspeed Internet connections. The file size (in MB) really doesn't affect much, it's the bitrate that is the most important.
    I'd say keep the mp4 at 512 and if you are happy with the quality, go ahead and use it. Reducing the bitrate for either type of video to 250 or so would result in a rather low quality display.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

The video file size depends on the bit rate and frame rate. you also can lowered frame rate to low the file size.but big file size have good video qualilty, maybe you just choose one