A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with audio files

Help with audio files

I have not used flash since 2000, so I can't remember a lot of things! My company purchased a Flash template and I've been able to edit pretty much everything with no problem, except the audio files.

The problem I have is that when I go to a new page, I want the audio from the other page(s) to stop and to only play the audio assigned for that page.

The other option, would be, not to show the buttons for the other pages until the audio has finished.

Which would be the easier solution as I need to get this done in less than a week.

Thanks for any/all help!

I would think your first approach is best..

however without knowing HOW the audio is being used/imported.. its hard to offer suggestion(s)..

are you loading the audio clip into a movieClip? if so just target that movieClips audio and stop() it.. before start/initializing another.

Here's the link to the presentation: http://www.aacei.org/2011-01/mbr/presentation/

On the main timeline, the intro is loaded on it's own line (using what they had previously for intro music). When the Enter button is clicked it takes them to the pages. The pages are shown each as one frame on the timeline and I attached the music files to each page. Right now the only actionscript is stop(); on each page, I had a stopAllMusic code that I found when searching, but then it wouldn't play anything.

Sorry I'm such an idiot about this right now, it got dropped in my lap while doing a complete site redesign that has to be done by 12/31/2010. Gotta love new bosses!

If you want me to place the fla file somewhere so you could look at it, just let me know and I will.

Sorry one more thing -- I did place this actionscript on the buttons layer:

stop();
    SoundMixer.stopAll();

But it doesn't seem to be doing anything except changing to the next page.
    Last edited by raddoe; 11-29-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Forgot last line.

is SoundMixer the name of the Sound Object instance that are you trying to 'stop'?

are you loading the music/audio dynamically?

into a _level? or a target? (movieClip)

I'm using them the following way:

For the intro.wav file I just replaced it on the timeline with music they were using. When a user presses the enter button, it goes to the individual pages which are set up on a separate timeline with each page as a frame. I attached the wav files to each frame.

How can I call the wav files so that when the button is pushed to go to the next page, it stops the wav file?

Sorry I'm such an idiot about all of this, but my brain is having trouble concentrating since I have to have a complete redesign of our entire site done by 12/31/2010 besides this being dropped in my lap. Gotta love new executive directors!

dont worry about not knowing.. we all start somewhere.. its the communication that is key here. I just needed to know how things are set-up.

can you .zip it up (if its not too big).. and I cat take a look.

so you are not loading it dynamically, and you have it imported on the timeline.

is there a movieClip instance name that contains this .wav file?

or is it on _root?

Maybe me zipping it up would be the best solution, how can I get the file to you?

is it that big?

how big is it?

the .wav must be huge eh? LOL

or is there more than one imported?

cant you upload the file to your domain/work domain..and provide a temp link?

Uploading zipped file now to server, location will be:

http://www.aacei.org/2011-01/mbr/pre...esentation.zip

thanks again!

There are 11 wav files total in the presentation.

WHOA!.. 206 mb?

cant you trim that down? or re-create a smaller version using 1 .wav to be used as a demo?

A much smaller version is there now, only has the intro page & 3 interior pages, plus I deleted all the extra crap in the template that we're not using.

darn... LOL I just DL'd the big too!..

trying to open it up now.

and its wont open..

I use CS3.. you'll need to save it to that format or before.. no CS4 or 5 formats here..

you arent trying to code in AS3 are you? if so ignore my comment.. and wait for someone else to come by and help =)

Sorry -- will do, I'll let you know when I've replaced the file.

Darn it -- won't let me save down to CS3 -- CS4 is the lowest option it provides, any other suggestions?

can you paste 'some' of the code that is used to load and play the audio?

if there is NONE.. and its just imported into a timeline...you will need to make sure its NOT the _root or MAIN timeline..

and then target that CLIP that holes the .wav file you imported..and stop(); that movie/timeline.. if there is no sound object being used.

I uploaded a CS3 version, if you want to try that.

Thanks, R