A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How would I create a database that logged in users could access and add customization

Question How would I create a database that logged in users could access and add customization

I want to make a game where a user logs in. Once the user logs in, they have access to a database (let's just say a database of weapons). They could choose a certain amount of "weapons" and every time they log in, they still have the same weapons, regardless of cookies, because the "weapons" are linked to their username. Then the users could use their weapons to battle other users. Also, the user's username keeps track of their wins and losses. I have newb to basic flash knowledge (I took an animations class); I could animate, make buttons, websites, etc. Does anyone have some insight that could point me in the right direction? Thank you.

your animation skills are not wehat is needed here..

1.) Flash itself can NOT talk to a databse..it needs a 3rd party service side script to do so.. (ie: PHP, ASP, CGI..etc)

2.) you need to use either SQL or (recommended) mySQL so you can set up your database, with all the required info and fields..so this data has a place to be saved and retrieved from.

3.) from there should be some simple functions to poll/query the database to do whatever it is you like..

ie: 1 function to load data and 1 function to save data

what you do with that data on the flash side once you get it..is up to you.

Thank you. Could you point me to a web site on how to set up some of that?