A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Help] Creating a Spiderman-like swing/grappling effect

[Help] Creating a Spiderman-like swing/grappling effect

Hi, I am a student in a video game design course and don't have very much experience with flash. The person who was doing the programming for us in our class project game hasn't pulled through, so us artists are trying to do the programming. We need to do a demo showing basic game mechanics for our game, and all we've managed so far is to get the character to walk. This game will be a vertical scroller, where the player is trying to get to the top.

What we're looking to do is create a character with a grappling hook, that when it hits certain objects it makes the character zoom up to the spot they latched on to. Then when the player lets go, the character detaches from the spot. The player should be able to aim where they want the hook to go, either by clicking with the mouse or with the arrow keys.

As an extra we also want to have an effect where when you shoot the hook at an enemy, it pulls them towards you (sort off like death grip on death knights in WoW if anyone knows). These are the only things we can't really find tutorials on, and any help would be appreciated as we are not even sure where to begin. Thanks a lot.

There's a flash game called Double Wires that uses the same idea, if that helps

Bump. Really now all I need is a way to make the player's gun shoot a grappling hook that will latch on to a specific hook. If anyone has any ideas or knows any tutorials, it would be really appreciated as I'm running out of time. This is in AS3 btw

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    flixel have a grappling example in their framework
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com