A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why am i not able to change action scipt?

Exclamation Why am i not able to change action scipt?

Hey, this is my first message here. I am n00b with the flash. I had a swf and i decomplied it so i got lots of files including actionscripts. However i cant change the actionscripts. The program just doesnt allow me to make a change on it.

I would do it with notepad but there are so many actionscripts i donno which one has the code i need. Its actually very complicated. It made me sick.

I just need to change some paths in actionscripts.
    So can somebody help me and give me some ideas about this...?

Will moderate for beer
    i decomplied it
    Don't do that. You don't have the rights to that source code. Or, if you DO have the rights to that source code, you shouldn't need to decompile the swf to get it.

Changing source code will not change the swf you already have. You'd have to recompile the changed code to get a new swf with changes.

Well that wasnt the answer to my question. I do have the rights to the source code. I needed to decompile it because we cant find the fla. Anyways, will i get any help to my question?

Will moderate for beer
    The second part was. You will need to recompile the code to get a new swf with your changes.

I know. I can recompile it. Thas not the problem. The problem is i cant edit the actionscripts now i can find the codes i am looking for.

Will moderate for beer
    You can edit with any text editing capable program, though I would suggest using something like FlashDevelop.

How can i find the code i need within all the actionscripts?

Will moderate for beer
    Search for it. Use Ctrl-F to find text in a file. Or, if you have a unix or cygwin environment, you can use grep to search many files at once.

There are so many actionscripts attached. I cant search for code in each file. Is there a way to search it in flash>?

Will moderate for beer
    I do not use the Flash IDE, so I don't know. Probably.

I'd suggest using Windows document search, but that never works.

text search over multiple files

The Windows Search function is lame, indeed. I've been using for years the Windows grep utility. It can find text in binary files, has regex abilities, date/size filters, can recurse folders, etc.

http://www.wingrep.com/

The Search within folders feature of flashdevelop should be all you need... aside from working knowledge of actionscript.

ok well the file is right on the desktop and i will give you guys more info about the situation.

After i decomplie the swf with flash decomlier trillix, it gives me 3 folders. one has 2 fla s another one has images and the other one has action scripts.

Now if i open any of the fla files with adobe flash, it doesnt show anything. So how can i search for a specific path in all the actionscripts to find which one is what i am looking for?

I dont even know what is flash IDE or windows grep utility.

How can i search within the folders feature of flashdevelop?

it sounds like you need to hire a developer. i'm not saying that to be rude, but if you don't know how to edit text files, search, or what the Flash IDE is, i really don't think you're going to have much luck on your own trying to edit a decompiled swiff.

hth, gl

If i was to hire somebody i wouldnt be writing here.

Well I know all about editing text files and other stuff in text files. I know searching also. But i am looking for is not a file or folder. Its a code/path somewhere in 300 actionscript files. Does windows support "Code search" . I dont think so.

Im sure flash has a feature like this but how can i open 300 action scripts at once to search through flash software?

I can open up fla s but they dont show anything on the screen.

yes i am a n00b on flash but i know everything else about computers. So if its very easy to do it with flash then just tell me step by step how to do it. Sorry for being a n00b. I didint know this forum was for "professional people only"

Will moderate for beer
    The 300 actionscript files should be .as files, full of code. That code is text. You can search through it just like you'd search through any other text. So yes, windows supports "Code search" in this case. But windows search doesn't work. Get wingrep, read a readme, and look for the paths you need to change.

nvm
    Last edited by moagrius; 12-09-2010 at 07:41 PM.

wingrep is actually pretty cool. It did work out. I was able to find and change the codes. Now i gotto recompile it. Im working on it now. Thx for your help.