A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: wacky bug in flash component?

wacky bug in flash component?

Okay, I found what seems to be a bug with flash components. I am using Flash CS5. Here are the steps to reproduce:
    1. Start a new ActionScript 3.0 document.
    2. Put 2 radio buttons on the stage. Give them different instance names and give them the same group name. Set the first radio button to selected and the second to not selected.
    3. Run the movie.
    4. Click the first radio button so it obtains focus.
    5. Press and hold down the space bar so that the first radio button glows light blue.
    6. While holding the space bar, tap the down arrow key as to switch the focus to the second radio button.
    7. Release the space bar.

Doing this causes the following error for me:
    TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at fl.controls::LabelButton/drawIcon()
    at fl.controls::LabelButton/draw()
    at fl.controls::RadioButton/draw()
    at fl.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()

This seems like a serious bug to me. Just by including radio buttons in a flash movie, you provide the user a way of crashing the movie! I find that once this error pops up, all the flash components I have in my movie start acting weird and everything becomes messed up!

Can anyone confirm this issue or provide a workaround? This issue is driving me crazy and I don't want to leave room in my project so the user can crash everything simply by providing a weird input!

Thanks,

Byzoomi

I don't know how likely that series events is to happen, but you're right, it does seem to be a bug. I'd suggest you report it to Adobe: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83975.html

rdoyle720,

Thank you for responding and confirming the issue. Do you think this is a bug in flash player (the link you gave is for flash player bugs)? I get the impression it is a bug in the flash component itself. The link you posted doesn't seem to provide any obvious way to submit a bug report either.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoyle720 View Post
    I don't know how likely that series events is to happen
    Certain individuals may find it easier to rely mainly on the keyboard instead of the mouse, tabbing through menu items and using keyboard shortcuts. I can imagine such an individual can quite easily stumble upon this issue when using these standard shortcuts (space to select a radio button, arrow keys to switch between radio buttons in a group). I don't like knowingly leaving such a hole in my application, particularly when it messes up the entire application and requires it to be restarted to resume normal functioning. However, I have been unable to figure out a workaround.

If anyone has any suggestions about a workaround I would be glad to hear it!

Thanks,

Byzoomi

I would still recommend reporting it as a player bug. A couple of links you can use to report it:

https://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform...?name=wishform